Found a baby possum please help!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH went out to take up the outside cat food because of racoons and found a baby possum! There are no wildlife rehabilitation facilities near us. I did text one a few counties over but don't know the verdict. I read up on care for them online, currently have him in a box with a shirt so he can cuddle up and managed to get him to take a drop or two of lukewarm milk of my finger. He is in my walk-in closet and safe from the cats. I know you are not supposed to handle wild animals, but since the mother won't come back for him and they don't carry rabies, I couldn't resist. He loves to be held. He likes to climb in my hair. Yes, I have already fallen in love with him but know I can't possibly keep him alive. What to do if we can't find a wildlife shelter? We are going to animal control in our county tomorrow. They are a no kill shelter, but I am reluctant to give up my possum to them. My possum! :bawling:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's a bit of a long shot, but there is are a lot of videos on YouTube about how to care for an orphaned possum. Maybe take a look at them and decide whether you could raise him yourself?

They are such cute little beasties. I can see why you'd grow attached to him

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Awhile ago we had an injured opossum on our property and fortunately have a wildlife rehab center not too far from us. Last fall we found an injured bird and called them for advice. Since you are not near a wildlife facility could you call them for guidance? I would hope they'd be more than willing to help you. Thank you for rescuing this baby and giving him a chance. :hugs:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH went out to take up the outside cat food because of racoons and found a baby possum! There are no wildlife rehabilitation facilities near us. I did text one a few counties over but don't know the verdict. I read up on care for them online, currently have him in a box with a shirt so he can cuddle up and managed to get him to take a drop or two of lukewarm milk of my finger. He is in my walk-in closet and safe from the cats. I know you are not supposed to handle wild animals, but since the mother won't come back for him and they don't carry rabies, I couldn't resist. He loves to be held. He likes to climb in my hair. Yes, I have already fallen in love with him but know I can't possibly keep him alive. What to do if we can't find a wildlife shelter? We are going to animal control in our county tomorrow. They are a no kill shelter, but I am reluctant to give up my possum to them. My possum! :bawling:
I think you absolutely could keep this little one alive. I also think that calling the wildlife center and asking for advice would be good as well as checking out Youtube videos. I honestly wouldn't go to the shelter. They may not have the time, manpower or resources to take care of this baby. You would likely do a much better job than them anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great news! Somehow DH and I kept making calls until he found someone who connected us to a wildlife rescue center not too far from our house. They agreed to take him! He is possum #464, so he will have plenty of friends. :thumbsup: We can visit, I think, or at least call to check up on him. He will be released into the wild (refuge) in several months. Thank you all for your help. The woman at the center told me not to feed him anything else (I was giving nibbles of milk on my fingers) and that the best thing I could do for him was put his box on a heating pad on the lowest setting. That was until we could get him to the center.

Thank you all for your answers. Just more proof that TCS and its members are amazing! :clap: