Found 6 Kittens During A Storm, Need Advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Adoptus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really wanted to keep her so bad! I even thought about it over and over, but I thought about what's best for them and what's best for me. Everyone else wanted me to keep her as well because they saw how close we were.

Here comes the bad news, since they've gotten bigger I've been letting them roam in my bedroom while I sleep in the living room. Their litter will stink up my room so I've been leaving the window open to air it out and allow for some ventilation. As a result they contracted fleas from the outside. They never had any when I first brought them in. I've been getting bit even in the living room which means their spreading. Now I have to spend more money on flea control and carpet cleaning...

Ugh.

"The things I do for love"

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really wanted to keep her so bad! I even thought about it over and over, but I thought about what's best for them and what's best for me. Everyone else wanted me to keep her as well because they saw how close we were.

Here comes the bad news, since they've gotten bigger I've been letting them roam in my bedroom while I sleep in the living room. Their litter will stink up my room so I've been leaving the window open to air it out and allow for some ventilation. As a result they contracted fleas from the outside. They never had any when I first brought them in. I've been getting bit even in the living room which means their spreading. Now I have to spend more money on flea control and carpet cleaning...

Ugh.

I recommend Advantage topical for them, and if you need to do the carpet, FleaBusters or other borax powder or spray treatment. These are safe for the cats and you, and they WORK, applied according to the directions. Plus, they are not as expensive as some of the other, poisonous alternatives. Google each of these and you'll find them near you, or someplace like petco.com or amazon will have them online. I use SoPhresh scoopable litter from petco.com and really do not have problems with the litter, which I scoop about 5 times a day. Anyone who can't understand this -- humans go to the bathroom at least 5 times a day. Cats do, too. No one I know would want to use an uncleaned gas station bathroom. Cats are the cleanest beings on this earth, and they don't like using a box that's been used, either. So scooping is quick, easy, and effective.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ugh.

Food grade Diatomaceous Earth works great at getting rid of all kinds of pests, fleas included. You can sprinkle it around your house and even on the Cats directly and it's perfectly safe, just as long as you make sure it is food grade. And, obviously, don't get it in their eyes.

humans go to the bathroom at least 5 times a day.
What the? Who uses the bathroom 5 times a day? I usually go twice, maybe, and only #2 once every couple days.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Food grade Diatomaceous Earth works great at getting rid of all kinds of pests, fleas included. You can sprinkle it around your house and even on the Cats directly and it's perfectly safe, just as long as you make sure it is food grade. And, obviously, don't get it in their eyes.

What the? Who uses the bathroom 5 times a day? I usually go twice, maybe, and only #2 once every couple days.
Really? You're a rare one, then, Talien Talien .

Adoptus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bought CapAction oral meds for fleas because it was within my budget. I looked up food grade Diatomaceous Earth and it seems pretty legit. I sleep on the floor and was wondering if it's safe for me to put a blanket over it and lay on it. Mattresses hurt my back and I also only do #2 like twice a day.

PS. look how small they were when I first posted on here!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should be fine sleeping on DE - it is edible. I applaud your patience in this matter - we don't have fleas in our area but I once had to deliver eviction notices to my sister's renters in Southern California and those ladies had 5 large dogs living in the condo and I was instantly covered on my ankles with fleas. It was so miserable - the burning biting followed by intense itching. Almost as bad as chiggers in TN!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought CapAction oral meds for fleas because it was within my budget. I looked up food grade Diatomaceous Earth and it seems pretty legit. I sleep on the floor and was wondering if it's safe for me to put a blanket over it and lay on it. Mattresses hurt my back and I also only do #2 like twice a day.

PS. look how small they were when I first posted on here!

Anyone who could resist these needs some help!
Not sure about what you ask but hopefully someone here will know, or google will yield the answer. ;)

Adoptus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You should be fine sleeping on DE - it is edible.
Excellent, It gets rid of fleas, makes for a comfortable pseudo mattress and satisfies my midnight cravings. What more can I ask for?

Update: My landlord does not accept Diatomaceous Earth as payment.

On another note, I have one more person coming to adopt a black kitten as we speak leaving us with only 2 kittens left.

Adoptus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haha thanks!

I really want to let everyone on here know that I thank you all very much and seriously appreciate you all being so patient and helpful with me! I would have had a very difficult time otherwise!

I went into the room today to check on the only 2 kittens that are left. Their plate was still full of food since I'm so used to pouring food for 4 kittens that we had for the longest time.

I bought a clay-based litter brand similar to SoPhresh since PetSmart was closer and it works amazingly well so far. This is the first time I went into the room without getting punched in the face with the smell of kitty litter. Shout out to tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 for the recommending getting a different type of litter!

I've also been moving my things and packing up so my room has been empty. The only thing that filled it with life were the kittens. It's a little sad to see only 2 kittens, a plate of food and water and a box of litter.

One of the 2 remaining is actually the bottle baby because she can be a little aggressive when people come to meet the kittens. Gale, the other black cat is a really sweet, super affectionate kitty that I'm tempted to keep, but I know I shouldn't. *sigh...*

Again I'd like to thank everyone here for helping me and following me along my journey with these kittens. It really means a lot to me. I haven't had pets of the petting kind since I was a young kid so it was a nice to have animals again for a little while. The kittens have been adopted off to good homes and caring owners. I'm glad I could help enrich the lives of other living creatures, but I couldn't have done it without you guys. I can't thank you enough.

I won't be having pets of my own any time soon so I don't think I will be on here much longer. It was nice meeting everyone and looking through the forums. I'll stay posted on here up until I adopt off the last kitten. See you guys again soon.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha thanks!

I really want to let everyone on here know that I thank you all very much and seriously appreciate you all being so patient and helpful with me! I would have had a very difficult time otherwise!

I went into the room today to check on the only 2 kittens that are left. Their plate was still full of food since I'm so used to pouring food for 4 kittens that we had for the longest time.

I bought a clay-based litter brand similar to SoPhresh since PetSmart was closer and it works amazingly well so far. This is the first time I went into the room without getting punched in the face with the smell of kitty litter. Shout out to tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 for the recommending getting a different type of litter!

I've also been moving my things and packing up so my room has been empty. The only thing that filled it with life were the kittens. It's a little sad to see only 2 kittens, a plate of food and water and a box of litter.

One of the 2 remaining is actually the bottle baby because she can be a little aggressive when people come to meet the kittens. Gale, the other black cat is a really sweet, super affectionate kitty that I'm tempted to keep, but I know I shouldn't. *sigh...*

Again I'd like to thank everyone here for helping me and following me along my journey with these kittens. It really means a lot to me. I haven't had pets of the petting kind since I was a young kid so it was a nice to have animals again for a little while. The kittens have been adopted off to good homes and caring owners. I'm glad I could help enrich the lives of other living creatures, but I couldn't have done it without you guys. I can't thank you enough.

I won't be having pets of my own any time soon so I don't think I will be on here much longer. It was nice meeting everyone and looking through the forums. I'll stay posted on here up until I adopt off the last kitten. See you guys again soon.
Np, Adoptus Adoptus ! Glad the litter is working for them and for you! We've used it for yonks and as long as they "cover", it is very effective without the harsh scents cats (and me, too) hate.
All the best to you in your move and heartfelt *PRAYERS* for each and every one of those kittens to have a long, happy, healthy, safe and LOVED life. Really appreciate the effort you have put into this project and the care you have for them. Maybe there will be a time in your life when you will be willing and able to share your life with a companion (or more than one) and I hope that if you do, you'll share it with CATS.