Fostering Pregnant Stray

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do have a couple of questions,
Mostly, weigh them :) that way you'll know for sure what's happening.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

DHall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, a bit more sadness this morning. Little Cali, the final breech kitten, was pushed out of the nest in the night. It’s sad because she was drinking milk and cuddling with the others so well before I went to bed. I picked her up, let Maggie smell it (and she pulled away with no interest) and took her away.

I’m attaching a couple of pictures. One shows Maggie with the final four kittens and the other shows the final three kittens, which were also the same ones living before all the sadness began (with the exception of the kitten with the exposed intestines, which had been the first kitten born).

Maggie is doing well. Eating, looking proud of herself and scoping out the door to the room. I will weigh the kittens much later today. Because I’ve had to change out yucky linens, I don’t want to stress Maggie by handling her babies too much.

While there are families who want the kittens, we need to make sure that Maggie isn’t forgotten. We plan on having her spayed before she goes anywhere. And, I’m trying to figure out a way to make the adoptive families take care of that for the kittens. While a majority of strays are very well taken care of here (it’s amazing), I still don’t think more kittens are acceptable.

Enjoy the photos. Doesn’t Maggie look quite pleased with herself?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m sorry about the last breech kitten. Sometimes moms will separate out a kitten that they sense won’t survive. Glad the remaining three are doing well.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
These articles may help;

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DHall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, both of you. I’ve “assisted” with so many cat births, that I am used to the Mamas doing what their instinct tells them to do. The remaining three are doing very good, as is Maggie. All the laundry is done! Of course, Maggie will continue to make more for the next several days, but I don’t mind that. She’s back to meeting me at the door and demanding some attention all her own. She doesn’t really like me touching the babies, but she doesn’t get too upset with me, and the only time I do anything with them is to change out the linens as needed and if one of them is out of the nest ... even Maggie has trouble finding traction on the tile floor ;-)

Now, for my questions. First, are Tortie coated cats more prone to birthing issues? Patch, The cat that traumatized me years ago (overly large breech stuck in canal) was also a Tortie. Both of these cats seemed to be carrying two separate pregnancies, including larger kittens and at least one that seemed premature. Patch even had one that was overly large AND seemed to be preemie. I lived in Greece with Patch and tried to get her spayed several times, but the vet always had a weird reason not to. She died in my lap trying to birth that final breech when I couldn’t get in touch with my vet or the emergency vet. Maggie’s first breech was quite large. The final one (the pretty Calico) was a bit smaller, but definitely not the runt of the litter. My husband was convinced she was a preemie.

Does anyone have any thoughts on any of that above? I don’t really need any answers, but this was such a different birthing than I have ever seen before.

And, I’d like to close with something cute. I’ve been giving Maggie a bit of kitten glop a couple times a day. Yesterday, she came out of the nest to drink it, but the kittens were still very close. I guess they got too close because Maggie let out the cutest, complaining groan/growl ... almost as if she was saying, “NO, it’s mine”. We had a good laugh. She didn’t do anything threatening to them, just complained. She’s really sweet.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as I know there's no association between cat color and birthing issues. However, birthing issues can be hereditary.
While there are families who want the kittens, we need to make sure that Maggie isn’t forgotten. We plan on having her spayed before she goes anywhere. And, I’m trying to figure out a way to make the adoptive families take care of that for the kittens. While a majority of strays are very well taken care of here (it’s amazing), I still don’t think more kittens are acceptable.
It's great that you are planning to have Maggie spayed! The very best way to make sure the adoptive families get the kittens spayed and neutered is to have it done yourself before the kittens are placed. If you leave it up to the adoptive families, it's easy for them to forget or put it off.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And it is perfectly fine, and should be expected, for the adoption fees to cover spay/neuter and any vaccine costs. Just keep a copy of medical records for potential adopters who have questions about the fee.