Fostering Pregnant Cat, just introducing ourselves!

3rd-time-foster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! Have been on this site twice before with pregnant fosters. Once a year we seem to find someone wanting to dump their pregnant cat on anyone else and take them in. Our latest foster, Millie, came to us just over 4 weeks ago. They told us she was 3 years old and 2.5-3 weeks pregnant. She's a beautiful tuxedo who bred with a black long haired make, we are told. I took her to the vet for a checkup this week, all is well, vet says at least 2, if not 3 weeks to go and he thinks he felt 4 kittens. She's gotten noticeably bigger the last 2-3 days, starting to feel little "pings" of babies inside. There is some white crusting on her nipples. She has started to seek out somewhere to have babies the last 2 days, rummaging in our closet, burying herself under clothes. She is such a sweet, loving cat. Will be hard to let her go to her forever home! Sorry for rambling, we are excited to go through this process again and have read the standard links to refresh our knowledge :) attached a few pics.

Last edited by a moderator:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
What a dear girl! And how kind of you to take her in. Here's hoping all goes well.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Such a pretty cat! Welcome back to the forum! So sweet of you to give her a foster home. We look forward to hearing more from you! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3rd-time-foster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, still waiting; if the lady who gave her to us was right, she is now 8.5-9 weeks and due any day! Definitely seeking out nesting possibilities and I have a few set up in our bedroom, where she likes to spend all her time. Babies are kicking like crazy now; I think I can make out 4 different little bodies, though she is noticeably bigger on one side so I have it in my head that she will have an odd number! She's very uncomfortable and just sleeps most of the time now. Hoping we have some action over the weekend; I'll be so sad if I can't be here with her!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may have another week or so. It's when their belly gets tight and hard and you can no longer see kitten movement that they are getting really close.

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Millie is beautiful. I hope you don't have to wait long for her kittens.

3rd-time-foster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So today Millie has been acting a bit off; she was running around earlier like she was high on catnip, randomly bursting up and down the stairs, then she was digging at the big area rug and kept squatting like she was urinating but nothing was coming out. Now she has been hiding under the couch for 3 hours. She hasn't been under this couch since the day we got her (she hid under there for over a day initially!). She will come out to eat but then go back and hide. My question is, should I let her stay there? I have 3 nests set up in my bedroom (where she spends most of her time). One under my bed, one in the closet and one in a bottom drawer of the dresser. Should I confine her to my room with good and litterbox or just let her have the kittens wherever she feels safe? I can't get to her under this couch, can barely see a sliver of her. I'm worried I won't be able to help if she needs it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hmm. The squatting makes me wonder if she has a UTI, but then maybe it was her way of getting relief from some early contractions.

Can you get to her under your bed any better than the couch?

I think I would be inclined to put her in the bedroom.

3rd-time-foster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've put her in the bedroom as of last night. No kittens yet. She's acting totally notmal and I'm going nuts!

anneno2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
anneno2 Hey! I ve been following this post now you stop . Did she have her kittens or what?

3rd-time-foster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No kittens yet. Just laying on top of my dresser, her favourite spot. Kittens definitely feel like they are lower but no discharge/plug, no milk and no contractions.

Last edited:

3rd-time-foster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Belly is rock hard this evening. I think kittens have definitely dropped. Not as much movement from kittens, it almost worries me! No discharge, milk or contractions but her belly feels rock hard, jam packed with babies! She's done nothing but sleep on my dresser all day; hops down every few hours to eat some food. Fingers crossed that kiyten watch is over soon!

anneno2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey we might have babies soon.  What are you going to do with the kittens? I had two Siamese girls and both were pregnant at the same time gave birth the same time. So I am at work at the local medical centre when my daughter came in distressed "mum Lee Lee has stolen Bella's kittens. I go home and was confronted with one delighted mummy cat who had eleven kittens not a tit was free while Bella had one poor miserable kitten, and she didn't want that one either!! She was a dreadful mother and anyone could have her kittens. Lee-Lee thought Christmas had  come early. I know they say that cats can't express human behaviour but that darn cat was grinning all over face! She reared those extra kitten as if they had been born to her. Regards anneno2