Fostering, intro to resident cat, and moving.

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! So with all this virus crap going on, I decided to take in a foster for a few weeks to help out the shelters. We are picking her up tomorrow. I DO have a 13 year old cat to introduce to her. I’m a bit nervous but I have read up a lot on introductions and will be patient and gradually introduce them. She is also about 10 months old and used to being in a room with lots of cats. She will have her own room at first and then I’ll probably rotate with my resident cat Taki.
I am considering adopting the new girl permanently If it works out, but we move (just down the street) May 1st. I know change is rough on cats and was looking for any advice to help with my cats transitions. Taki has moved with me about 8 times and across country twice, stayed in hotel rooms. He done okay, but still gets a bit of anxiety. Mainly with the longer trips.
Any tips?

Attached some pictures! Baby girl is the grey one 10 months old and Taki is my old man at 13 years.

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... beautiful cats, both of them. :redheartpump:

It sounds like Taki is a pretty adaptable cat, however, she still is likely to not be impressed with a newbie coming into her home. So do expect the introductions to take a while. And watch for any signs of stress from Taki, including things like not eating normally, or litter box issues.

Here's some TCS with more info. Good luck.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles
Introducing Cats To Cats | TheCatSite
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat | TheCatSite

Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles

How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way | TheCatSite

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So you are moving in 5 weeks. With Taki being a 13 year old, I probably wouldn't start the introduction till after you moving and Taki has calmed down from that. Alternatively, it would also be reasonable to try and move forward, but adjust to how its going. In other words, follow the guides and watch for signs that it is going worse than average. If it is going worse than average, pull the plug till after the move. No sense Taki getting really stressed twice, but on the other hand, even with older cats, many introductions can be done (or done-ish) in three weeks. So its not unreasonable to see how it is going, even if I might wait.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So you are moving in 5 weeks. With Taki being a 13 year old, I probably wouldn't start the introduction till after you moving and Taki has calmed down from that. Alternatively, it would also be reasonable to try and move forward, but adjust to how its going. In other words, follow the guides and watch for signs that it is going worse than average. If it is going worse than average, pull the plug till after the move. No sense Taki getting really stressed twice, but on the other hand, even with older cats, many introductions can be done (or done-ish) in three weeks. So its not unreasonable to see how it is going, even if I might wait.
Thanks! We are taking it very slow and being very cautious! I have them in separate rooms, calming diffuser in Takis area, and a multi cat for when I actually introduce them. I don’t plan on introducing them for the next couple weeks. I’d like for them to be used to each other before the move if possible just so it’s not two things they both need to figure out at once. Does that make sense? In hindsight the timing is bad. But with the virus it has been bad for everything. 😫

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, if they are getting along well enough to share a 2-cat sized carrier for transit and be set up in the same room of the new house, you have a reasonable chance of avoiding a set back. If they are not to that point yet, and it would be perfectly normal for the older cat to still be a little growly and unhappy about the younger . . . then there is a high risk of set-back. Cats quite often blame nearby people or animals for stressful situations to begin with, and if they don't really like each other yet, it seems especially likely. If they are not there yet, probably just admit that there is going to be a mild set-back and set them up in different safe rooms, and do a reintroduction over a few days or even a week or so.

I mean, its pretty normal that you do a two or three week intro and the older cat is still growly and unhappy with the kitten. As long as they aren't going to fight, that can slowly improve with time, but you mix in the move, and, in the normal case, there would be some set back. But one never knows with these things. Its possible they could be bona fide friends within a couple of weeks. But yes, if this goes in an average-ish kind of way, there could be some setback or delay with the move. If you plan for it, shouldn't be too bad.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do expect it to take probably closer to two months for them to get used to each other. I’m fostering right now so they we will see how the trial period goes. When we move we will have a better set up to keep them separated because we will have an extra room and more space 🤞

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So the new kitty has worms. 😩 We’ve been keeping them separate and will continue to do so as she is treated.

Taki has seen her a couple times. Her scent doesn’t bother him. It’s been about five days but I just found poop in front of his litter box, just one log. This has happened before but I feel like it was on accident. This time may have been deliberate. He may have been constipated this week. But his poop looked normal. I’m just hoping this doesn’t become habit.

I’m beginning to think this was a bad idea.

I’m feeling like I should probably not introduce them until after the move. Or see how this month of fostering goes and if behavior continues give her back to the shelter to find a new home.

I’ve just gotten attached. I feel like she chose me. But my resident cat is my guy and I don’t want his life to be uncomfortable going forward.
It’s only been five days but the worms are just adding to the stress.

I’m getting quite anxious but trying to stay calm. It’s only been five days.

I’m willing to be extremely patient but I’m just concerned about my resident cat the most. Any advice? Especially if he keeps pooping outside the box?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's your resident cat who had the litter box accident, right? Has this every happened before with him?

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes he is. I’ve seen bits before in the past because he accidentally kicked some out. I think he knocked it out. He’s a big cat and tends to make a mess. He’s been using it normally today. I may have panicked too quickly but I’m keeping an eye on it.

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think so! I tried to get the largest one I could find and clean it once or twice a day but I may need to search elsewhere! He has pooped in the litter box several times since then.