Fostering Feral Pregnant Cat

Asturg23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have taken in a pregnant feral cat. We’ve had her for about 2 1/2 weeks in a spare bedroom. 3 days ago we managed to get her in a very large cat crate with different level shelves. It was not easy because she won’t let anyone touch her. I have a feeling she is close to giving birth but there is no way to find out. Going to a vet is out of the question right now and no, I cannot take her temperature. She is still eating and drinking. Sleeps all day long now and is up the whole night crying. Very strange noises at times. She has long hair so we can’t see her nipples. We have a camera set up in there to watch her. Along with the bouts of crying, she will take breaks to lay on her side and lick herself. That started 2 nights ago. ANY help or advice is much appreciated. I want to help her the best I can.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi there, thank you for taking her in!

Some vets do make house calls (for a slight fee), so if you explain the situation to them they should be able to check her out.

There should also be local feral trapping groups that could check in on her/provide assistance if you want.

If you provide your city/location I can look both of these up for you.

Fish Em

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
maybe she just wants out? If she is doing ok, I don't see why a vet visit would be urgent at the moment. ?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Whatever happens and whatever you are able to do or not to do, her situation now is dramatically better then if she were alone outside.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to hedge your odds you might get some KMR, bottles, and syringes in case she isn't interested in them or in one of them. There is nothing like having the stuff you need to make it where you won't need it.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for fostering her! There are some behavioral signs to look for as she approaches delivery, since physical signs are sometimes hard to observe. Have you noticed any nesting behavior, or decreased appetite?

This article gives more information: How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should be feeding her kitten food for the extra protean and fat she needs for her developing kittens. Continue the kitten food as long as she is nursing her kittens.

Thank you for the rescue! You might feed her some IMR from now until she weans her kittens.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Re feeding, if you can give some extra calcium rich food its good.
With properly bred home cats its almost never an issue for breeders, but with homeless cats living on what they can find, and perhaps often pregnant, calcium may really be an issue...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Re calming and her easier to settle down. Calm classical music may help. Harp music is good. also, On youtube there are several hours long clips with relaxing music for cats...

You can come in, sit down, or even lay down. Talk in a quiet, friendly voice. Or you can read aloud if you wish. Sing a little if you can and want. This is a potent cat language - compare how friendly toms do, compared with territorial dominant toms...

Standing on all four, strech on yourself forward and backward = friendly greetings to a pal.
Yawn broadly = its a friendly greeting, seldom being sleepy...

The classical blinking with the eyes.
Dont look straight into her eyes, look a little aside, on the ears for example...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your situation reminds me much of one of my first occasions I did try to advice on a swedish cat forum, a 20 years ago.
A ferale shy high preg fosterling and an inexperienced nervous caretaker. I gave the same advice as in my first answer above...
How it continued? The shy ferale mamma did accepted the caretaker being near at the delivery, did even accepted some direct help... And this become the great turnaround there... The mama remained shy, but was thereafter friendly to the caretaker, and didnt minded at all her fostering the kittens.

It become a great eyeopener for me!

You say, this ferale perhaps wasnt a real ferale, just a shy homeless? Perhaps, but I dont want to destroy a good story. Especielly as this scenario has repeated time and again during all my years as helper and forumist...

Being really the rule of thumb sooner than rare exceptions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Asturg23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies. She gave birth last night! 4 from what we can tell. Watching her on the cam, she seems to know what she’s doing. The kittens are nursing and she cleans them. Since the day I took her in, I’ve been feeding her kitten food. There is a white noise machine in the room as well. She’s used to my voice and I don’t look her in the eye. I’m just giving her space right now. super excited though!

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies. She gave birth last night! 4 from what we can tell. Watching her on the cam, she seems to know what she’s doing. The kittens are nursing and she cleans them. Since the day I took her in, I’ve been feeding her kitten food. There is a white noise machine in the room as well. She’s used to my voice and I don’t look her in the eye. I’m just giving her space right now. super excited though!
That's great news! Will you be taking pictures to share with us?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Asturg23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the lack of photos. It’s been a long 24 hours, or maybe more? Haven’t slept much. Mama cat has refused her babies and her main concern is trying to get back outside. My husband and I had to go into rescue mode and we’re now bottle feeding the babies. It’s 3:30 AM as I type this with a basket of babies between us lol! They seem to be taking the formula for the most part. When we feed them we put them on our chest for warmth and comfort. A long road ahead for sure. I’m going to look into a trap to get Mama to the vet to be fixed. She has NOT warmed up at all. She was clearly meant to be outside and that’s where she is comfortable. She doesn’t belong in some kind of shelter where nobody would adopt her or worse, be killed. After she is fixed I will let her go on my property and see what happens. Thanks all!