fostering and a little worried

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a foster for the local spca. I picked up a mommy cat, and 4 rweek old kitties that were combo tested at my request, so I am not bringing anything home to my indoor only cats. Well, when I got there, an extra, not tested kitty was with them, that apparently doesn't have a mommy, and this one nurses him.

My question is: if this kitty is infected with anything would he be showing symptoms?All kitties and mommy seem healthy, good appetitie, pooping and peeing.

I don't want to chance an infection to my cats (mommy et al are separated in the basement) and I can return them if I want to. I don't want to over react, but I don't want to be stupid either. I would like to make introductions in a few weeks, most likely they will be here a month or more, and mommy could become a foster after kitties are adopted.

what do you think?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cant you simply ask them to test also this extra kitten?

If he is clear, everything is good and swell.

If he is not clear - I presume you must held both families separated. Ie yours residents and the fosters.

Till the extra kittens gots his clean bill of healts, I agree you cant OK them. None.
If you want to be completely safeguarded.

Tx for helping!

Good luck!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

kittens this young cannot be tested.
but you tell the foster siblings were tested. Or do you mean, the mother was tested, and therefore, also the kittens got a clean bill?

Right, so it is the old quarantine. If they are healthy through the whole quarantine period, you can assume they are healthy. No 100% safe guarantee, but a decent, practical safety.

So is the beginning of the word quarantine, 40 days of - quarantine - to see if they were carriers of plaque, or not...
That historical info, Im not saying they must be quarantined 40 days...

You can also retest the mom during the mean-time.

Exact how many days, I dont know.

Good luck!