Fostering a Pregnant Cat

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Congrats! Hope everyone is well! Now the next phase begins. Raising of small kittens. It has its danger and joys too. 

Did we mention weighting them every day on a kitchen or mail scale is good?  If everything goes well, it will be a nice memory. If there is any problems, it is often the best way to notice both the problem and the improvents.

Borrow one or buy one cheap.

Good luck!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weigh in grams using an electonic digital set of kitchen scales.  If you weigh in ounces there are decimal points to fiddle with, and also in grams a gain of at least 10g most days is easy to remember and monitor for.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sgrtx88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the tips. Missymotus - the babies and mama are doing well. However, mama gave birth to a stillborn kitten about 3 hours after I first discovered the other four. I was there with her. Once she passed the kitten she didn't really pay attention to it so I was glad for that. I made sure it had no vital signs before I wrapped it up. I took it up to my work to be sent off for communal cremation. But anyway, other than that it has been a positive experience so far. Sometimes I get nervous that mama is going to accidentally lay on a baby and squish it (that happened with my friend's dog and her puppy). But overall mama is doing great.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad things are going well, a healthy kitten won't get squashed they can wiggle out or yell enough to make mum move

Great you were there to remove the stillborn, sometimes they can be revived but the mums generally know and will ignore one that's gone