Foster Questions

RainBoots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have discovered a wonderful program that I am now very excited about.
PACT for Animals. PACT demo
Fostering for a shelter isn't an option for us, as my husband simply cannot bear it. However this program allows us to contribute to animals in need of care, without the concerns of adopting every furry body that crosses our paths.

I would love to hear from others who volunteer in fostering programs. Does anyone else out there go through similar programs, or are we mostly shelter fosters here?

Thanks!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had actually run across PACT before, and am very excited about it. Imagine the relief of knowing your pets would be safe and loved while you, yourself, underwent long-term medical treatment for a catastrophic illness? The relief of knowing that your babies would come back to you when you were again able to care for them? The relief of knowing that your babies are safe while you, yourself, are deployed?

I don't know that we have PACT volunteers here, we may well. This community generally puts their money and their efforts where their mouths are, so it would not surprise me one little bit!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RainBoots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! If I may ask, he can't bear to let them go to adopters, or can't bear to see the sometimes rough situations the animals come from?
Both. He cannot set foot in a shelter without crying and wanting to take everyone home. It is such an admirable sentiment and I love him for his giving heart. <3 Unfortunately, we cannot afford even one pet, let alone hundreds.

Which is why I am so excited about a program like PACT; we know the animal is going back to a loving home when their owners can care for them again.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of pact before but I will look to see if there is a local chapter (I live in a retirement/disability housing apartment. So plenty of people may need it.)

I’m a foster fail do I know how your tender hearted husband feels. Even at 12 weeks I thought they were to young to be adopted out and needed another 1-3 months 🤣

Lastly you can look up ESA & think about maybe a cuddly rat? (Cheap) They are highly intelligent animals, better to adopt 2 (yes they have pedigree rats.) My sister had this large cuddly pedigree rat .... though I like bunnies better & ferrets best 😉

I hope you are fostering for PACT soon!

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had fostered for many years and stopped about 2 years ago. My room is only 6 x 10 and after you get food, water, litter boxes, toys, cat tree and beds there is hardly any space left on the floor. The humane society where I used to work kept sending 6 or 7 packs and the last time a 5 pack that refused to take the bottle and needed syringe feeding. Spent 7 hours a day trying to get them properly cared for. Now that I am thru complaining I have to say I just loved having little babies! I felt that it was my job to get them ready for their forever homes by feeding them high quality food, lots of play, love and exposing them to household routines. Never thought too much about keeping them. By now I would have a least 50 cats!