Foster Pet Parents Can Deduct Fostering Expenses If...

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd never heard that! I don't live in California (sadness) - but needless to say, I'm going to go do some online digging on my own state right now!!!! Thanks for sharing that info - - - I'm sure the California folks will be extra thrilled! And if I find out more about my state - - I'll post that!

(I just realized that was WAAAAAAAAAYYYYY too many exclamation points)

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you might be right!!!! A triple :clap::clap::clap:for you! It's funny - - we met our tax preparer when she adopted two little kittens brothers we fostered - - and she's never mentioned this to us. You'd think she'd have told us at least?!?!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well - color me embarrassed! (I couldn't come up with a better phrase there - sorry) I just went in and told my hubby about this, and he said - "don't you remember? (I obviously did not) Our tax woman (he didn't call her that I just didn't want to put her name out there :lol:) told us about that deduction, and we deducted quite a bit bc of all of the fostering we did!!!!!!"

So - my bad - she did know. And yes - looks like it is national!. Although anyone who's reading this (besides you - catsknowme catsknowme - and me :)) - I'd check with your tax preparer first. Everything I'm seeing does say it was a national rule put into place in 2012.

Here are 2 links with a bit more about what's deductible (again though - check w/someone who's NOT a graphic designer :flail: for your tax questions).

Tax Deductions for Fostering Dogs and Cats - Michelson Found Animals Foundation | Pet Adoption, Microchipping, Spay & Neuter

Foster Pet Tax Deductions

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it varies a bit. I could be mistaken but I think that here, the charity or shelter must provide everything, food, vet expenses, etc. and they can take the deduction. If you want to do it yourself you have to be 501c. :headshake: It’s frustrating for those of us who want to help by supplying certain things. So far, my tax preparer says I cannot take deductions. Maybe that’s changing. Maybe I need to move to California!!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well - color me embarrassed! (I couldn't come up with a better phrase there - sorry) I just went in and told my hubby about this, and he said - "don't you remember? (I obviously did not) Our tax woman (he didn't call her that I just didn't want to put her name out there :lol:) told us about that deduction, and we deducted quite a bit bc of all of the fostering we did!!!!!!"

So - my bad - she did know. And yes - looks like it is national!. Although anyone who's reading this (besides you - catsknowme catsknowme - and me :)) - I'd check with your tax preparer first. Everything I'm seeing does say it was a national rule put into place in 2012.

Here are 2 links with a bit more about what's deductible (again though - check w/someone who's NOT a graphic designer :flail: for your tax questions).

Tax Deductions for Fostering Dogs and Cats - Michelson Found Animals Foundation | Pet Adoption, Microchipping, Spay & Neuter

Foster Pet Tax Deductions
Good to know. I’m wondering if our state just requires the care be provided through the actual group who holds the 501c3 status. I’ll be rechecking that.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Everything I was skimming quickly (until hubby told me that about our tax preparer going through this with us last year!) was making the point strongly that you must be fostering through a legal 501(c )3. The last two shelters I've fostered for would definitely provide everything (food, vet expenses, medications, etc.), but if you told them that you'd be happy to provide these things on your own dime (exception in both cases was anything medical -- that HAD to run through the shelters), as long as they agreed ahead about which litter/food/etc. we were buying. But I'm sure some shelters don't allow that. And everything I read said since the only way to deduct fostering is by doing it through a 501( c)3 shelter - finding a cat on your own and caring for it till you find it a home didn't count (as you noted - unless you ARE a 501( c) 3 yourself!

(again - - legal disclaimer - don't take tax advice from a graphic designer/art director. Be sure to check with your tax preparer - - who hopefully isn't a graphic designer/art director :lol:)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ll be checking for sure. I have done both. On my own and for 501c3. In the future I’ll be checking every year! Lol some of the groups won’t allow the individual to supply anything too so..... assuming their rules require it. They probably need the deductions and they want to regulate the care. All good! As long as the kitties get the help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird - it looks as if just getting a declaration of the 501c that you were acting upon their behalf, your expenses are considered a charitable contribution. and I did not realize that this has been since 2011. Screenshot_20190409-234412_Chrome.jpg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ll just have to get the acknowledgement from the group then. That’s super news. I have folders full of receipts! I tend to be a record keeper anyway! Look out Uncle Sam! :p