Foster Kitty Meows Loudly All Night Long

Cat Grrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello: I am a new cat foster mom. I got a 4-6 mo old girl from a rescue on a farm. She is very scared and spends most of her time hiding under the dresser in her room. She meows loudly at night (mostly all night). I don’t believe she is in heat, since she does not display the actions that I’ve read about. When I enter her room she hides. She does not want me in the room at all. When she is upset (if my husband enters the room) she poos in the corner on the floor. She has 3 litter boxes in the room; one covered, two uncovered; 2 different litters. This has only happened twice in 10 days. She will be seeing the vet in a couple of weeks. I have been reading books and newspapers to her and playing the ukulele for up to an hour at a time. I tried a wand to play with her and she was terrified of the bell on the toy. She will come out of hiding after 20-40 minutes of me arriving. She won’t take her eyes off me as she slinks low and leaps up into the windowsill. I sit on the floor, so I will be closer to her level. If I move my feet too fast she runs back and hides again and that’s it. The foster agency I got her through says she just wants to go outside. Of course this won’t happen.

I’m really sad that she is not responding to me. I have put many hours into this kitty! I’m worried that she will never be socialized. What will happen to her? As this is my first foster (and my last) I’m a wreck. I had a cat for 17 years and thought I knew a thing or two about cats. Very humbling. Any suggestions about what I can do to help her? Her name is “Heidi”

Attachments

charlie55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Changing residences can cause anxiety, which may present itself as a cat whining or a cat meowing at night. Kitty is bored and wants you to wake up and play with her.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello: I am a new cat foster mom. I got a 4-6 mo old girl from a rescue on a farm. She is very scared and spends most of her time hiding under the dresser in her room. She meows loudly at night (mostly all night). I don’t believe she is in heat, since she does not display the actions that I’ve read about. When I enter her room she hides. She does not want me in the room at all. When she is upset (if my husband enters the room) she poos in the corner on the floor. She has 3 litter boxes in the room; one covered, two uncovered; 2 different litters. This has only happened twice in 10 days. She will be seeing the vet in a couple of weeks. I have been reading books and newspapers to her and playing the ukulele for up to an hour at a time. I tried a wand to play with her and she was terrified of the bell on the toy. She will come out of hiding after 20-40 minutes of me arriving. She won’t take her eyes off me as she slinks low and leaps up into the windowsill. I sit on the floor, so I will be closer to her level. If I move my feet too fast she runs back and hides again and that’s it. The foster agency I got her through says she just wants to go outside. Of course this won’t happen.

I’m really sad that she is not responding to me. I have put many hours into this kitty! I’m worried that she will never be socialized. What will happen to her? As this is my first foster (and my last) I’m a wreck. I had a cat for 17 years and thought I knew a thing or two about cats. Very humbling. Any suggestions about what I can do to help her? Her name is “Heidi”
I cannot say with certainty, but she may be semi feral and needs complete socialization which takes a lot of time.

The good news is if you ignore a cat they are more drawn to you. Has she be spayed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat Grrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No she has not been spayed. She is scheduled for spaying in a couple of weeks together with her shots and bloodwork.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
No she has not been spayed. She is scheduled for spaying in a couple of weeks together with her shots and bloodwork.
Again, without knowing the details exactly of her previous care she may not be socialized. I've recently used cat purring sounds with my ferals I'm socializing which may help. Again, cats want to come to you and sometimes they need to know it's safe to come around you without being chased or picked up. It's a slow and steady process, but the end results are rewarding.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don’t feel so discouraged. Imagine if you had just been taken into a completely different world. Every single thing is strange to you. Never seen or heard before. Considering that, she is actually doing pretty well! I have taken in all stages and ages of ferals and the time you have had her has led to progress far more than you think. Time and patience is what she needs. Let her get to understanding that she is safe there first. It’s a process and the first hurdles have already been overcome. It’s really late for me tonight and I just found your post but I will come back and I know others will have information for you too. Just don’t push or try to pursue her. Cats progress at their own pace but she will progress as she feels safe. She’s a beautiful kitty. She is coming out so that’s a big step for her. Just lay around in there with her. Take a nap or read while she eats. Food can be a great bonding tool. Maybe eat your meal while she eats too. Just let her observe you. If she pops in a corner, put the box there. Put one of her poops in the box and let her own scent lead her back to it. Keep her litter box away from where she eats. The wand toy might work better if you just drag the toy slowly across the floor and not up in the air. A sock might be less scary and leave something you have worn that carries your scent on it for her. A blanket on the floor or inside a box is something she might like. Cats love boxes. A cat cave would feel secure and a box works as one. I use a cat carrier as a permanent sanctuary for ferals here. It is their retreat. I put treats inside on a towel and I put the carrier where they like to hide. If they take to that it can be an invaluable help to all later since during vet trips, the cat can go in their safe sanctuary and are comforted by having something familiar around them. Don’t give up. You’re actually do great. I know it doesn’t feel like it yet but it will. ;):clap2:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
She sounds like my Waffles who I adopted at 2 years old, he was semi-feral. All of the above- it takes time and lots of patience. I'd also sit on the floor, or lay on the floor with a pillow reading a book or something not looking at the kitty at all and hardly moving, doing that a few times a day. I'd put treats where the kitty likes to hide while I was in the room just in case she will eat one, or some wet food she likes.
We big humans are really scary to them and they need time to observe us and learn to trust we won't harm them.
Yes I'd leave some of your clothes that you've worn and not washed in the room so she can get used to your scent.
I'd love to hear how she's doing! The reward when they loosen up even a little is tremendous. It was 2 months before Waffles hopped on my lap and then it was only for 2 seconds.
It's been four years with Waffles and only about 6 months ago he got to the point where I could walk up to him and pet him, before he always had to come to me. Even if she's always somewhat shy, any progress helps her. ♥

Oh and I play the ukulele too!

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you sleep in her room at night? She probably had other cats to sleep with on the farm. It would give her the opportunity to check out a sleeping human on her terms. Since she seems more frightened of your husband make sure to put some dirty clothes of his in the room.

If you're free feeding dry try leaving a small amount in the dish and do scheduled feeding so she associates you with food. If she has a favorite treat you can put some on the floor when your in the room.

Come out when your in the room is the start of trust. Give her some time. :hearthrob:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you sleep in her room at night? She probably had other cats to sleep with on the farm. It would give her the opportunity to check out a sleeping human on her terms. Since she seems more frightened of your husband make sure to put some dirty clothes of his in the room.

If you're free feeding dry try leaving a small amount in the dish and do scheduled feeding so she associates you with food. If she has a favorite treat you can put some on the floor when your in the room.

Come out when your in the room is the start of trust. Give her some time. :hearthrob:
I did the scheduled feedings with Waffles, forgot about that. It did help!