Foster kitty, how high can they jump?

BusterTheKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to get a foster kitty, and want to make a room within a room to keep it contained. Any ideas how old kitty would be, before it could climb over a 4 foot high plywood? (maybe not long, since it could get its claws into the plywood? - Maybe smooth wainscoting instead? Or other vinyl?) Or maybe if the plywood sloped inward, it would take longer for kitty to break out?

Longer version: we fostered before, and when kitties were young, kept them in the bathroom where we would get them used to humans. I want to try it again, but want to make more of a coral inside a bigger room. When they get older and more used to humans, then we can give up on the walls. But I don't know how many weeks or months before kittens can escape a 4 foot plywood wall. Or maybe I should make them 6' or 8'. This room within a room would be big enough to contain me as well, so a family member can be with them for much of the day. Ideas? Daughter is allergic, but loves cats. If we can contain them in this room, it will work well for her allergies, and allow her to be with kittens for limited periods. And maybe we can rescue a stray kitten this way, even though we can't have it forever.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
An adult cat could easily jump four feet. My guess on a kitten is that they could by six to eight months. I have seen some large enclosures (with a ceiling) made from inexpensive wire cubes.

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of people double stack baby gates, which you might find easier.

As for what age a cat could get over that and whether they could use their nails to help rather than just jumping . . . I wouldn't want to guess! Just don't get an Abyssinian!

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 10 week old fosters that can easily jump that. But I'd say until at least 6 weeks you'd be fine. as long as you dont put anything near the wall they can climb onto to get more height!