Foster kittens white diarrhea

Eldritchbirdie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am a foster for a small 2 person ran neonatal/under 1lb rescue. This is my first set of kittens, I was given 6 on Monday. Today is the first day of any issues. Oscar was 337kg yesterday morning, 325 this morning and he had normal colored diarrhea. I gave him an initial "loading dose" of Albon. He was eating and drinking fine. I informed the foster contact and got no response on their daily weigh in /report.

I check in at lunch time and this time Oscar has very pale stool, still loose. I gave him a "subsequent" dose of albon again. I mixed in pedialyte and petag kmr formula to slurry the wet food. He is eating and drinking but not a whole lot. He weighed in tonight at 307.

I quarantined him from the others and cleaned everything with a 1:10 bleach solution. I reached out to foster lady again and was told to just provide critical care of liquid and food and albon.

I understand that white stool is a serious issue (diarrhea in general is) and it is hard for me to sit and wait for what feels like him to fade. Hoping maybe someone here has some insight or suggestions.

I was only given a small amount of albon and fortiflora to be given every other day.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It may be discolored from the Albon since it was normal before. I think you are doing the right thing to provide critical care. It can take about 3 days to work. Hopefully he will turn the corner for better soon!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am a foster for a small 2 person ran neonatal/under 1lb rescue. This is my first set of kittens, I was given 6 on Monday. Today is the first day of any issues. Oscar was 337kg yesterday morning, 325 this morning and he had normal colored diarrhea. I gave him an initial "loading dose" of Albon. He was eating and drinking fine. I informed the foster contact and got no response on their daily weigh in /report.

I check in at lunch time and this time Oscar has very pale stool, still loose. I gave him a "subsequent" dose of albon again. I mixed in pedialyte and petag kmr formula to slurry the wet food. He is eating and drinking but not a whole lot. He weighed in tonight at 307.

I quarantined him from the others and cleaned everything with a 1:10 bleach solution. I reached out to foster lady again and was told to just provide critical care of liquid and food and albon.

I understand that white stool is a serious issue (diarrhea in general is) and it is hard for me to sit and wait for what feels like him to fade. Hoping maybe someone here has some insight or suggestions.

I was only given a small amount of albon and fortiflora to be given every other day.
Continue with pedialyte; its a must; this contains both salts and also some glucose sugar.
Can you get raw goats milk? This may help sometimes... Powdered goats milk or pasteurized goats milk are useful too, but raw best.

Can you get glucose sugar proper? if not, white caro syrup is good. helps for weaks, gives quick energhy. on the gum, under lip.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, be sure he is warm and comfortable. Massage him, and such...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eldritchbirdie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Continue with pedialyte; its a must; this contains both salts and also some glucose sugar.
Can you get raw goats milk? This may help sometimes... Powdered goats milk or pasteurized goats milk are useful too, but raw best.

Can you get glucose sugar proper? if not, white caro syrup is good. helps for weaks, gives quick energhy. on the gum, under lip.
I got some evaporated goats milk from the baking supply aisle and mixed it with pedialyte and wet food, he is eating that on his own now with the milk in it. I have white caro syrup I've been giving him. I'll try just rubbing it on the gum because it gets sticky as heck with the syringe. Thank you for the insight!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eldritchbirdie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It may be discolored from the Albon since it was normal before. I think you are doing the right thing to provide critical care. It can take about 3 days to work. Hopefully he will turn the corner for better soon!
Knowing it could be from albon makes me feel better and having that 3 day window. Weighing him a few times today and so far he is either gained or stayed the same. I'm taking it as a good sign.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I got some evaporated goats milk from the baking supply aisle and mixed it with pedialyte and wet food, he is eating that on his own now with the milk in it. I have white caro syrup I've been giving him. I'll try just rubbing it on the gum because it gets sticky as heck with the syringe. Thank you for the insight!
Yes, its just a little droplet at a time on the gum... You can repeat ti if need. And rub in.

My usual advice was to paint with a little paint brush a thick water solution on the gums; but I realized most practicioners just put a droplet on the gum... and rub around if necessary... Evaporated goats milk is OK, esp if its full fat, ie not deprived of fat. Deprived of fat isnt harmful, but its not enough to survive on in long term.