Foster & kittens - walk me through?

blueheaven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I was wondering if anyone had experience with fostering strays that were pregnant in regards to their distemper vaccination and kittens with cerebellar hypoplasia. Our story is, Mamma Amy was found by animal control on March 4th and that day given a rabies (killed virus) and a distemper (live virus) vaccination. I guess before they realized she was pregnant. Few days after that she got her dewormer and flea meds and sent a few states north to the rescue I work with. I got her March 8th. At that time it was guestimated that she had around 30 days to go. So the vaccination would have been given right around the half way point.
I took her to the vet yesterday for a fecal to make sure she was covered for fecal parasites and another round of deworming. The vet said to not give her the distemper booster because it could affect the babies development and give them cerebellar hypoplasia.
Anyone with experience with a stray that did have the distemper shot that did or did not affect their kittens? or if so, how far along was the shot given that did affect the kittens? or any been there done that with strays and kittens with motor skill development issues.
Thank you for reading

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My understanding is that to NOT vaccinate against distemper poses a greater risk to mother and unborn kittens than to vaccinate. The risk of the kittens getting Cerebellar Hypoplasia is VERY low. If mama had happened to get a distemper shot sometime in her life, which may be, in a stray, she has developed antibodies and there is almost no risk to unborn kittens. I have seen what distemper does to kittens and mamas alike and would not wish it on anyone......I pray everything will turn out alright with the kittens, the odds are with them, please keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueheaven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is what I have read to about the shelters not having a choice in giving the vax. Right now I am hoping Mamma had been exposed to the virus before and the live vax was a harmless booster and everything will be good. Thank you for your reply, I will definitely keep everyone updated.

blueheaven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I thought I had at least a week to go. But babies were born tonight just a few hours ago, I missed the entire event. I was upstairs doing nightly stuff and came down to check on mamma and tuck her in and bam, 4 babies. Between the hours of 9 and just before midnight. They are all cleaned off for the most part and I didnt witness afterbirth or anything, since mamma is with them do I just make sure they are warm enough in their room and let her do her thing? I have weight sheets printed, I plan to track their weight to make sure everyone is growing and eating. Anything else I should do specifically if she looks like she has it covered? Shes letting them all attach and seems very ok with them being all over her.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is what I have read to about the shelters not having a choice in giving the vax. Right now I am hoping Mamma had been exposed to the virus before and the live vax was a harmless booster and everything will be good. Thank you for your reply, I will definitely keep everyone updated.
If she was a homeless for real, and thus, was a succesfull stray, 1. she has obviously the immunologhy and healing systems way above average. Becouse she would perish soon enough otherwise. 2. The probability is high she was exposed to the virus and did fight it off. Individuals with good immune systems usually do, as long as its minor amounts. So for cats, so for humans in these Covid19 times.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds good! How is she to you? Shy or accepting? In any case, weigh the kittens as you plan; in her sight so she sees nothing harmful is done to them, and you can let her be if she seems shy. Talk sweetly and friendly! Make nice sounds! Look friendly!
If she visibly enjoys your company, you can held her company.

blueheaven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is very sweet to me and has let me pet her and purr when I get close, even with the babies near. So seems good so far. I fed her some wet food from a spoon so she didnt have to get up :D

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Congrats! Put her food, water, and litter nearby so she does not need to go far. All sounds good! :)

blueheaven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I have weighed my babies every day. Today is day 4 of their lives. One of them was 122g on day 2 and is 116g on day 4. Should I start worrying about supplementing or is this still considered normal. This kitten is the only girl and still very alert and moving around, no sign of weakness or lethargy. I have KMR and syringes.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, supplement. She should have gained weight. Be very careful to go drop by drop in the side of her mouth and give her a chance to swallow and breathe between drops. She may eventually latch onto the syringe and suckle faster. Try to get a couple of mLs in her every 2-3 hours for now and let’s see if she can begin gaining 6-10 grams per day (if not more). Keep us posted!

blueheaven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The smallest kitten still has the same energy level as the siblings and doesnt seem lethargic or weak, but is still the smallest ~130g at day 5, and will NOT tolerate me doing drops with the syringe. She tosses her head all around and is not interested at all. I did the napkin to make them pee thing and she is peeing, but it is a little yellow. The other day it was clear. I am warming the KMR just enough and holding her on her stomach to mimic feeding from mom. Any other way I can get her more interested in drops? or should I assume shes doing ok cause of her energy level?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she’s gone from 116 on Day 4 to 130 grams on Day 5, then she’s doing great. Weigh her each day and watch her carefully. It’s weight gains that matter!