Foster kittens--bottle feeding babies now 8 weeks old

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I've been fostering two kittens for the last 7 weeks. I got them when they were about 4 days old, so lots of bottle feeding.

First night. Dark bed, black socks filled with warmed rice. Oh, and two black kittens in there somewhere.

10 days old

12 days old

First attempt at eating . . . er, swimming in . . . solid food

It wasn't me!

Hercules babysitting. My big old 15 pounder just loves kittens.

Iris babysitting

Gandalf babysitting

7-1/2 weeks old now

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol! I remember when a friend of mine took in a stray cat and she had her babies in their garage, when the kittens were 5-6 weeks old, they were climbing up our pant legs. They grow up so fast!

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's like this, I do and I don't envy the job that you had to keep those babies healthy.  They look so so healthy.  You evidently did a wonderful job with them.  Never thought about using socks and rice for warmth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It's like this, I do and I don't envy the job that you had to keep those babies healthy.  They look so so healthy.  You evidently did a wonderful job with them.  Never thought about using socks and rice for warmth.
I got the idea for the rice socks from posts here on TheCatSite. Start with uncooked rice, fill a sock, and warm it in the microwave. Be careful not to overheat it, you don't want to burn the babies. The rice holds the heat for 3-4 hours, so I just had to reheat it every time I fed the kittens.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful job you've done and there are so many babysitters on hand
;-)

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congratulations!  I bottle fed three abandoned kittens last year and it was probably one of the most challenging experiences of my adult life.  They were two days old and thank God for this and other sites or Id've never known what to do.  I think people underestimate how difficult this is as there are so many things that have to be done correctly.  Your kittens are beyond adorable, brings back happy memories.  As others have said, they look so robust and healthy!  :)

Way cool cat tree, BTW, where did you get it?

Last edited:

conikat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You've done an amazing job with those little guys...and oh my, aren't they beautiful and healthy looking! I too have done this, so I know how much work it can be. Especially when you're at the feeding every couple of hours stage. They should be ready for regular kitten food now. And new homes ( unless you are keeping them?) you've done a great job! Kudos!!!!!
And thank you for the huge smile on my face, I really needed that.:-)
Connie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Well, the babies went to the shelter on Friday. They're finally big enough to get their first shots and they should be spayed some time next week. I'm not sure what the spay clinic schedule is with the holiday. We may even have homes for both of them already.

Size comparison: Two months old, in the same bed as the picture when I first got them at about 4 days old (they weren't terribly happy to be disturbed for pictures)

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, what great news! I'd be so sad to see them go. I would want masses of photo updates from their new homes.

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh for so adorable.  I really should not look at pictures of baby kitties.  Just makes me want to hug them and kiss them and call them my own.