Foster Kitten Panluekopenia

JayLaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, first time here. I recently got a foster kitten who was diagnosed with Panleukopenia. So past weeks I got him over the hump and is doing a lot better. But he still has the loose stool. I've been trying fortiflora by purina and it doesn't seem to be working. So today I got the bene bac gel to try and im wondering for a 9 week old kitten is this ok?? Do I give to him everyday? Anybody know? Thank you!

leo feliz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello there.
you should also use wet food to keep him or her hydrated. have you taken him to the vet:rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JayLaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah been to vet already.. we have been through intensive therapy these past weeks. And thankfully he pulled out of it and is back to playing and eating on his own. vet recommended fortiflora. Been using it but doesn't seem to be helping. So I thought I'd make switch to bene bac to help with loose stools.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Bene-Bac® Plus Pet Gel | PetAg (en-US)

These are the instructions for Bene-Bac and it does include those for young kittens. Thank you for helping this kitten. Since you are fostering, does that mean that you are working with a rescue? The kitten has seen a vet or was taken to one by the rescue before you got him?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi there, first time here. I recently got a foster kitten who was diagnosed with Panleukopenia. So past weeks I got him over the hump and is doing a lot better. But he still has the loose stool. I've been trying fortiflora by purina and it doesn't seem to be working. So today I got the bene bac gel to try and im wondering for a 9 week old kitten is this ok?? Do I give to him everyday? Anybody know? Thank you!
I dont know the exact dosages. Use the instructions you have...

But BeneBac is known as a terrific good probiotic, one of the best, and is very good to help kittens with diarrhea.

You are also supplementing with extra salts? pedialyte or something homemade?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with all the above. Rebalancing electrolytes is critical after vomiting and/or diarrhea; restoring good gut flora is good at helping resolve the cause.
I use Benebac + powder using the directions on the canister.
An interesting history on Pedialyte (from a newsletter from the BIA Indian Health Project in the late 70s) is that a doctor treating sick children in Africa was desperate after losing patients despite constantly rehydrating with water so he tried weak black tea with sugar, salt & baking soda and voila! he began saving his young patients!
Please keep us updated!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, a teaspoon of canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix) will often firm loose stools. Mix it into the wet food.

Otherwise, he may need a round of metronidazole. It treats parasites and bacterial intestinal infections. Once on it diarrhea usually clears in a day or two.

Thank you for nursing this baby through nasty panleukopenia. It kills most tiny kittens.