Foster Failure

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There was a dog in animal control who is/was in dire need of TLC.  I am pulling her for a rescue but think I will be a foster failure. 

I will never understand how people can treat their animals like this. Her new name is going to be Lumen.  She has been nothing more than a breeding machine to her past owner.  Not only has she done nothing but have puppies making him/her $$, they didn't feed her properly nor provide heartworm meds.  She is HW+.  I will let her be a dog and not a money making breeding machine.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
How did I miss this post? What a sweet looking girl. So glad you rescued her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She should be coming home tomorrow...that is if the shelter spayed her.  I called all day and no one picked up the phone. 

I see hundreds of dogs a day.  When I saw her, something felt different if that make sense.  I am footing the bill for her HW treatment since the shelter does not follow proper protocol.  She is so skinny.  She also has what the shelter calls a skin tag on the side of her mouth.  She is going to my vet Saturday and if I have to eat ramen for months, I will.  I was told she would have been euthed if I had not adopted her.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Aw, poor baby. She has a really sweet face. She's skin and bones - I get so angry at these puppy mills. So, so glad you have become this girl's angel. She really needed one. Soon she will be getting the love and cuddles she always deserved.

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
THANK YOU for saving her! I absolutely detest puppy mills and BYB. Breaks my heart. I actually can't look at the rescue sites anymore, because I'm a sucker for sob stories. I will adopt everything! lol

Sending healing vibes your way! 

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She can't come home until next Weds.  They treated her for heartworm.  GRRR.  I was willing to pay for it done correctly.

Here is her picture when I visited her today.

She is not a fan of men.  Good thing I have been through that before! 

She was never given the chance to be a dog.  Her uterus was toast when they spayed her.  Her nipples hang.  She was nothing more than a money making breeding machine and when she couldn't any longer, they got rid of her. 

margd

Veteran
Purraise
It's a real shame the two of you have to wait. I really want to see a picture of this sweet girl rolling in the grass or romping around, finally being allowed to just be the special dog she is. I wish we could put puppy mills and BYB out of business!

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She won't be able to romp for a couple of months.  Heart worm treatment is so inexpensive.  I pay less than $35.00/month for my pack.  Her previous owner didn't feel it was necessary.  Now, she has to deal with painful shots and confinement.

She is not even a pure bred dog.  Why would someone even do this to her?  Not that it is OK to byb a dog anyway.

Last edited:

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As she is gaining weight, she is getting some wrinkles.  I took her to my vet Saturday and she is up to 82.5 pounds.  She needs to gain a goo 20-30 to look good. 

I am really thinking she is a Neo mix.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
This is such a happy change for this poor girl. It's great to hear she's gaining weight. Lumen is going to be a big girl!

I don't know what a Neo looks like but Lumen is really quite lovely, even so thin. She has a noble head.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Wow, she's still so thin - it really speaks to how malnourished she was before. She is a beautiful girl and you are her angel. Looking forward to more photos!

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, she is still painfully thin.  I feed my girls a species appropriate raw diet and she is loving it. 

The hardest part is crating her until the HW treatment is over and she is free.  We go for short walks and rides in the car but she is not allowed any exertion.  Than means no running or vigorous play for another month. 

giraffelove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looking at those pictures makes me feel sick. I am so glad you rescued her! She looks so cuddly and sweet, even after being abused. It makes me so angry when people do this to animals. They can feel pain and sadness and loneliness and some people just don't care. It's just so sad.

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Lumen is off exercise restriction!!  She still needs to gain a good 20 pounds.  When I brought her home, she could barely stand without wobbling.  Now she can run.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
What fantastic news! It warms my heart to see that dear girl with a ball, finally able to play. She's been through so much. And she does look much better than before. Go Lumen!

You have done such a good deed rescuing this precious being! [emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]127802[/emoji][emoji]128151[/emoji]

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so amazing that she can run and play now! Way to go Lumen!!