Foster fail advice?

lauraloulouie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are currently fostering our first little family and are already in love with mama cat and plan on adopting her. I'm wondering about adopting a couple of kittens from the litter too. Folks who foster moms with babies, do you find the moms generally prefer to have a home of their own after their kittens are ready? Would mom enjoy having a couple of kids around forever? Or does it really depend on her personality?

And if we do keep some of the kittens, would be better for future household harmony to do a boy and a girl kitten? or two boys? or again, does it really just depend? (They're only a week old so we have plenty of time to see how interactions develop.)

44A3F2B0-F639-4885-8B85-9CDE959E635D.jpeg

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a cute family! Bless you for wanting to adopt the mom .... who most people over look in favor of the kittens!

I have never taken in a mom and kitten. What I have heard is around 5-6 months she gets grouchy/aggressive with her kids (to drive them off her turf & make room for the next litter.) Then can buddy up to them ?6? Months or so later. I would ask people about their experience in this & be prepared for mom to want space from her kittens. Other then that, take lots pictures; they grow up so fast! 😻

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had brothers and sisters, sisters and sisters, grandma and grandkids, and mom and kittens. In all cases it worked out fine, especially with the siblings as it provided them with comfort that those they knew from birth were still with them. Some feel that siblings will often relate to each other in other way, but I have not had any issues.

I assume you will get the mom spayed which might help her with that grouchy period of wanting the kitten to make his way in the world, but it should pass and would probably only result in less friendly behavior. Having said that, I had a mom and baby (baby was about 10 months younger than the mom) in the house for 14 years and they were entirely bonded. Mom passed away 3 months ago and it has been hard on the "baby" but she is adjusting.

Lots of foster fails myself.