Foster cat pregnant?

iholdgrudges

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I’m currently looking after a foster cat for a small local rescue, she’s quite a big cat so we’re unsure if she’s pregnant or not, from the pics below would you say she looks pregnant? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A very handsome cat!

She does look pregnant in the standing photos. Have you seen or felt any movement yet in her sides? It’s usually possible the last 2-3 weeks of pregnancy. Are her nipples pink or larger?

Thank you for fostering! 😊

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iholdgrudges

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can only see one nipple as she’s quite furry, and it’s hard to see movement for the same reason! I’ve seen some ripples though, and I do think I can feel some movement but have no comparison so not sure!
Last week I could feel something bony in her side that later disappeared, is it possible it was a kitten’s limb or am I imagining things? 😂

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Treat her as pregnant and feed her as much as she wants. Kitten wet and dry food provides optimal nutrition for a pregnancy, but if she eats well on adult wet and dry that is fine as sometimes changing foods can cause digestive upset.

She should get bigger and bigger. Keep us posted!

iholdgrudges

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s just on wet kitten food and dreamies atm - dried food makes her sick even if I wet it so I’ve stopped trying! She has very few teeth bless her so not sure if that’s got something to do with it, but then the dreamies don’t come back up and the softened dry food did so maybe not? She was extra hungry and out of sorts today, but now she’s eaten she’s cheered up a bit.
Any tips on encouraging her to her nesting box? Even treats in there doesn’t help anymore, she just wants to live on my bed and a bit worried she’ll give birth there!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’s not due yet, but once she’s in labor if you think she may want to give birth on your bed, have old towels ready to spread out. She and kittens can be moved once the process is over and kittens are settled. However, cats will not use their birthing box until the end when it’s time to deliver. It’s an instinct in the wild to not leave scent there so predators do not find the nest

iholdgrudges

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah I see, thanks for all the advice! I’ve been reading lots but it’s great to have others opinions!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do they know anything about her history? If she's missing teeth she may be older, could be spayed already, might just be fat. I had one kitty who looked pregnant her entire life, but it was just a big tummy, lol. Usually their nipples are more visible by the time they're showing like that, although of course every cat is different.

But yeah, treat her like she is pregnant, feed her kitten food and all that. You'll know for sure soon enough. If there are no kittens in a month, and she isn't obviously extremely pregnant by then, I think you can safely assume she is not pregnant.

iholdgrudges

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That’s what I thought too because of her teeth. No they don’t know much about her history unfortunately. My mum also had a very fat cat lol, but Coco is quite long so it’s hard to tell if she’s just chubby or pregnant 😂 but yeah I guess we’ll soon see!

She’s been with us just over two weeks and was quite big when she came, my sister saw her a week ago and again today and says she definitely looks bigger, so thinking she probably is pregnant but still not certain.

Any thoughts on whether it’s possible to have felt a kittens limb? I’m so baffled as to what it was if not!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have her go to the vet to see if she's pregnant or not. Sometimes they are just fat cats lol.

iholdgrudges

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it’s probably best to wait it out as she’s just settled in and I think a vet visit would stress her out. I am a bit worried that she may be an older mum though if she is pregnant and that might cause complications with the kittens? I’m keeping a close eye on her anyway, which isn’t hard as she’s a lovely cat ❤

Monikszaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still no clue if she’s pregnant or just a chub, she’s enjoying all the kitten food though!
She looks really cute 🥰
I am also waiting to find out if my adopted kitty is pregnant or not. So far all the signs show me that she is but I’m still not sure and also because I only brought her home 2 weeks ago I didn’t want to stress her with vet visits and due to COVID my local wet take only emergency cases and as there is nothing wrong with her we just have to wait but I’m really inpatient so the waiting time is killing me 🙈 she’s been eating like crazy I also got some kitten food just to be safe and got her cat pregnancy vitamins which my vet recommended. I hope all goes well for your kitty x

iholdgrudges

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sooooo.... turns out Coco was a very hungry, very chubby chipped & neutered male cat 😂 🤷🏻‍♀️ He went to the vet yesterday and they’re doing their best to trace his owners, if they can’t they’ll treat him and re home him ❤
We’re now fostering a pregnant kitten called Clover ☘ she’s soo tiny, the pic doesn’t even show just how small she is. I’m really worried how she’ll manage giving birth and taking care of kittens when she’s so young herself 😕 I’ve read loads on here already but any extra advice would be more than welcome!

Attachments

Kellym9999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's hilarious about Coco! I just got a new pregnant foster who is tiny like your Clover. I'm very worried too. Mama Mia is only 5 lbs

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Congrats! Make sure all six are latching, nursing, and gaining daily. Watch for a runt or two who may need supplementing.

iholdgrudges

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I will do! They all seem to be feeding well so far but the two who arrived last seem to be getting pushed aside a bit already. I’m giving Clover kitten formula to help with her milk - any tips on how to stop getting lumps in it would be much appreciated!