Foster Cat Pregnant?

CookieDough4123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My neighbors took off in the middle of the night about a week ago and left me their two cats, I know nothing about them other than their names, that they're both female and one is the mother of the other, I don't even know which one that is, I've never had a short furred black cat before and I'm worried about her being pregnant, it might sound silly but I'm wondering because she's very aggressive towards my male cat but not my female and she has no fur around her nipples, I don't know if that's common in females or a sign she's gave birth or what, I'm pretty sure she's not spayed as my neighbors were dirt poor and I feel she was just a free cat they got, I can send pictures if that'll help.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chances are fairly high for an unspayed cat to be pregnant now, unless she's been kept strictly indoors for the past few months.

If you're unable/unwilling to raise kittens, she can be spayed now which will terminate the pregnancy. If you're willing and able to raise a litter, you can keep her indoors for the next couple of months and then you'd know for sure.

She should go to the vet for a checkup, but vets can't always tell if a cat is pregnant either. Even ultrasound is unreliable until later in the pregnancy.

I assume your male cat is neutered?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you provide pictures please? Were these outdoor cats? Are they indoor now?

The aggression towards your female cat is normal when they do not know one another. Can you separate the new cats from your cat(s) for a few weeks during the adjustment phase?

Thanks so much for taking the poor things in. Sounds like at least one was nursing a litter recently and I wonder where that litter is. It also sounds like another pregnancy is in progress. I do not hold folks in high esteem who move and leave their cats behind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CookieDough4123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know if they were indoor or not, I've been separating them but I had an accident where I left the door to their room open because I didn't know my cats were nearby, I can take more pictures if that'll help, I don't have picture of the other one currently because she's been really shy and I've been letting her get used to the environment instead of searching her out

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CookieDough4123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didn't realize how big that picture made her seem, she's not a big cat and I just looked and felt her over and it feels like something's there here's a better picture

Attachments

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Contact rescues to see if they have snr programs or can help you find homes and help with vetting. You can google low cost vet clinics near me and low cost spay and neuter programs :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Then she has probably groomed the fur away during pregnancy, and this is very common. This is probably her first litter. Go ahead and set up a nest for her, and begin reading our articles about cat pregnancy and kittens.

Black cats usually have very sweet personalities and tend to be calm-natured cats. I have one who is very sweet and shy.