Foster Cat On A Long Walk

marfol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Sorry this is a bit long, just bear with me!

I just took in two foster cats, a boy and a girl who are siblings (both spayed and neutured). The reason I got them is because their previous owner moved, and she did not bring the cats to her new place, so she basically abandoned them. So they have been living of of kind people feeding them for a few weeks. They have been living in my neighbourhood since they where kittens, so they know the area very well. They are used to being let outside as long as they want, as this is normal in Norway, where I live.

Even though I had not had them for more than six days I decided to let them outside last sunday. Both returned home, but the female, Angela, returned home monday morning, went out again after half an hour or so, and has not been seen since. I know for a fact that the previous owner has not picked her up, since I have been in contact with her. I'm starting to get a little bit worried, but she knows the area in and out, so I don't think she is lost. I really don't have a reason to believe she does not want to be in contact with humans, because she is such a couch-potato when she is inside, she even even enjoys bellyrubs.

However, the weather has been really nice this week, so I suspect that she was just enjoying herself in ihe sun. But now it's raining, and she is still not home, which worries me a lot. We have tried setting out warm tuna and cold tuna, and have been walking around the neighbourhood about every hour to see if she is there, or if she perhaps went to the apartment she used to live in, but so far no luck.

She obviously knows where she belongs, since she came home for food monday morning. What else could I try? I'm afraid she is gone forever, but I might just be overthinking... Any advice?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hard to say. Are there cars in your area? Coyotes? Foxes? She may have been hit by a car or killed by wildlife.

Calling the shelter and putting up posters would be a good place to start.

Hopefully a good Samaritan has just adopted and turned her into an indoor kitty though.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she is that friendly, she may well have been taken in. Canvass your neighborhood, talk with your neighbors, put up posters, check with shelters and animal control. And keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marfol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys. She is still gone, five days since we last saw her now.

There is a road about a five minute walk from here, but I doubt she has gone in that direction, there is a forest behind my house that I think it is more likely that she went to. No cyotes, but there might be some foxes, I'm not sure. Some people say that there is a cat colony in the forest, but so far I haven't seen any cats there, and I have been looking for her down there many times.

She wears a collar (quick release), so I doubt people would just take her inside. She is also kind of a pain in the ass to keep as an indoor kitty, she has been able to go outside her whole life, and whenever she is not able to she just meow continously untilyou let her out. I have asked the people who live where she used to live, and they are gonna contact me if they see her, but they have not seen her since sunday.

I let her brother go out again yesterday, so I hope he might be able to lure her home, they are very close and are usually to be found together. Will try to put up posters next!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all thank you for caring for these cats when the previous owners just left them. You are their hero. Bless you.

I hope she is found, and very soon.

When she gets back you can try keeping her and her brother indoors as they are much safer inside the home. They will surely complain for a while, and it will take weeks before they get adjusted. Or you can just build a big catio at your backyard if possible for you, or small catios at your windows.

Please keep us posted. I am sending my hugs and prayers your way. Hang in there.

marfol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, so here is an update, not only on Angela, but both cats.

We found the owner and contacted her. She was very sad to know her cats had been taken into a fosterhome. What my neighbours told me was that she had moved away from them a Whole month ago when I took them in. But in fact, she had moved just a few days before I took them in. She said she was used to her cats going on long walks, so she wasn't stressed when she couldn't find them, and therefor she didn't put up missing cat-posters or anything like that.

So both cats are now home with their Family again, in a new house. It was sad having to let them go, I grew really attached to them, but I they will be better off with the family they know and love.

marfol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, once again, a new update! "Angela" was suddenly standing in our windowsill last night. She was very hungry, cuddly and had a few ticks and a little dirt in her fur, but in good shape. She is now inside and safe, and her owner will pick her up on monday morning. Lucky me who get to have this wonderfull guest for three days!

We will be keeping her inside for the weekend, even though she is not very happy about it, haha. In this very moment while I'm writing this she is meowing at the door. The weather is really nice right now, sunny and warm, so I get her frustration, but I won't risk loosing her again before her owner comes to pick her up.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Looks like these babies now have TWO "homes," and that they know where to go if they escape...one way or another!

marfol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looks like these babies now have TWO "homes," and that they know where to go if they escape...one way or another!
Yeah, their owner will keep them inside for a few weeks to have them adjust to their new house, and if they come running to me again I at least have her number!