Foster Cat Is Pissed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DET_CAT_DAD

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a leather chair that I always sit in on our main level, a "dad" chair if you will. We let Ziggy out and my wife ran up to the grocery store. He actually jumped up on me on the chair right now! He didn't stay long and he dug his nails into me when he climbed up but I'm claiming a victory! He's definitely come a long way in a week.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe his previous folks wore jeans and had a tendency to leap up when he climbed into their laps. There might be a connection with his climbing style, maybe.

DET_CAT_DAD

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tonight was not a great night for Ziggy. I put down a towel underneath both litter boxes. I put them pretty close together but the towel is probably 5'x3'. I went into his room and he had his head buried underneath the towel with the rest of his body sticking out. He had pooped in multiple places in the room. When I went in there, I sat down and pulled the towel off his head. He meowed quite a bit and came over and kept pushing his head into mine. When I looked, he had quite a mess of poop on his butt. He started to groom himself so I just let him be. I figured if I tried to help with wipes, I'm not sure that would end well (for me). I'm not mad at him. I just want help help him get over it and then we can address his other issues with his weight. I feel horrible for him. I did contact the shelter I'm fostering him through and asked if they could take him off the adoption list and give me a solid six months to either help me get him adapted to living here or fixing his issues. They agreed, which is great. I think a vet visit is a must in the next week or so and I might also try the Feliway diffusers. I just feel horrible for Ziggy. It seems like people keep letting him down.

DET_CAT_DAD

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ziggy continues to progress each day. Our foster kitten leaves tomorrow so I'm hopeful that will help him. She is a complete lunatic who makes a ton of noise. We will miss her lots though. She was a great little companion for one of our resident cats, Ralph, who is pretty timid. But I think a quieter house will help Ziggy even more.
IMG_2973.JPG

DET_CAT_DAD

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMG_3241.JPG
IMG_3295.JPG
Last Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights were not good for Ziggy. He had pretty bad wet poop/diarrhea and completely destroyed the carpet by the door in his room. He literally had wet poop running down his entire backside and it was NOT fun. I contacted the rescue I was fostering him because I was really worried and they thought it had to do with him being stressed due to the other cats in our home and wanted him seen by their vet immediately. I was devastated and heartbroken. They sent someone to pick him up Wednesday morning and take him to their vet. I was in tears when the transporter drove away with him. I figured I'd never see him again. I had an appointment at my vet for Monday but it seemed urgent and I didn't think Ziggy should wait. Everything checked out at the vet and they agreed to bring him back here yesterday. Ziggy was at a Catfe and did great with the other cats there, which was really encouraging for me to hear. When Ziggy came back yesterday, he was out with one of our cats, Ralph, for about four hours. They were pretty hesitant of each other but did pretty well. He started to get a little crabby toward the end of the four hours so I put him back in his room. He did great last night! He was quiet, didn't rip up any carpet, didn't ram his head against the door and the best part is, HE POOPED IN ONE OF THE BOXES! And it was solid poop, no diarrhea. I am hopeful we are on the right track with him finally.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's time to get him a record at your vet so you can do emergency calls for him there. Though it's a good sign they brought him back to you. Just thinking it'll be less worrying for you.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you using feliway plug-ins in his room? If he's pooping due to stress the feliway plug-in might help. It helped calm my cats down after we moved.

DET_CAT_DAD

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's time to get him a record at your vet so you can do emergency calls for him there. Though it's a good sign they brought him back to you. Just thinking it'll be less worrying for you.
I'm going to.

DET_CAT_DAD

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you using feliway plug-ins in his room? If he's pooping due to stress the feliway plug-in might help. It helped calm my cats down after we moved.
I just bought one and plugged it in downstairs where all the cats congregate. I'm slightly worried though because I've read multiple reviews on Amazon about them catching on fire or sparking.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just bought one and plugged it in downstairs where all the cats congregate. I'm slightly worried though because I've read multiple reviews on Amazon about them catching on fire or sparking.
I'd put it in his room or wherever he spends most of hus time. I left mine on for a week straight. But definitely keep an eye on it.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might just use the Feliway while you're home. The scent should stay in the air for hours whether the thing is plugged in or not. We tried it and it removed Sweet Gum's civilization layer. It took over a day for her to settle back down.

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has he lived with other cats before? Is there any chance he never learned to poop in the litter box?
Wild guess. But years ago I literally picked up a stray three month old kitten off the street while I was on vacation in Aruba. He was starving so I kept him and brought him home to the US. The first few nights we were still on Aruba and he wouldn't use the litter box I bought him.
He slept on the bed with me and I'd wake up and find pee and poop on the furthest corner away from where we slept. I was worried since all the strays I'd had before housebroken themselves and he'd seen the vet and was healthy
As soon as we got to my home and my six other cats, the friend caring for them hadn't changed the litter much if at all. The kitten made a beeline right for the dirty litter box and prrf and pooped in it
Eight years later he's never had any issues. It's like a light bulb went on in his head and he realized that's where he was supposed to go!

DET_CAT_DAD

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ziggy's been pretty good since he's come back and even pooped in the litter box around half the nights he's spent here. We've been making sure to let him out for several hours each days and he's been great while out...until today. He was out for about three hours and laid down ON ME and then next to me for around an hour. He went back upstairs by himself and laid down in the hallway, something he does almost every time he's out and ready to go back in his room. I went up there and into his room, he followed me in there, I bent down to pet him and he swiped at me and then jumped up and tried to grab onto my leg. Other than this outburst, he's done really well since he came back here. I don't get it.