Foster Cat Constantly Meowing

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I was given a lovely lady cat called Ally to foster until she gets over her upper respiratory illness. She is a beautiful long-haired fluffy girl. The only thing is, she meows constantly and very loudly. She woke me up several times throughout the night. She also seems to have what I can only describe as feline ADHD! Lol cannot sit still on in one place for more than 2/3 minutes and just constantly moves about the house. I haven’t seen her nap or sleep since she’s come here yesterday evening. She is however a very friendly and confident cat and made herself right at home from the minute I opened her carrier. What I want to know is are there cats are just constantly meow? She does stop of course, but if I had to put a percentage on it, I’d say she has meowed 60-70% of the time she’s been here. Is there a chance it’s boredom or her way to adapt to a new place? The rescue lady told me she was not meowing at Petco where she was staying at before coming to me.
Thanks for your input.

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Having lived with a very vocal cat, I would say that is what you got. And when you add stress and a new environment to her vocal tendencies, you end up with a very very vocal cat. But as she relaxes and gets everything she has to tell you off her chest, she should quiet down some.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She seems to be a Chatty Catty, and some of them just are. susanm9006 susanm9006 is right, though. She may taper off as she becomes accustomed to her new home. Even a confident cat takes a little time to become really at home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for your responses. I think you are right. Today she’s finally calmed down enough to take long naps (yesterday and throughout the night she just paced the whole apt). At least I get a break from the meowing! Lol
She also seems to be happier letting me do things without following me around. Hopefully she’ll settle over the next few days. She really is a sweetheart.

JulesB86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m going through the same thing at the moment with a rescue. She wanders about meowing even though she has been fed, watered and cuddled. Can’t figure out what she wants but I’m guessing she is just chatting.
The first day she cried cried cried all evening we didn’t think we could last it but it’s definutely getting better and less as the days go on.
I think just hang on in there and she will settle down. :)

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope you guys are right! Because if she’s actually is like that all the time, it’ll be hard for that sweet girl to find a forever home. She is owner surrendered and I can’t think why else someone would give up such a sweet girl. I mean, look at how cuddly she is!
I’m going through the same thing at the moment with a rescue. She wanders about meowing even though she has been fed, watered and cuddled. Can’t figure out what she wants but I’m guessing she is just chatting.
The first day she cried cried cried all evening we didn’t think we could last it but it’s definutely getting better and less as the days go on.
I think just hang on in there and she will settle down. :)

Attachments

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried talking back to her? I know it sounds silly but sometimes talking works. "I know I know baby everything is new and you miss your old person. In no time at all you will know this place backwards and then we will find you a new human to love you." Nonsense like that. Just like my new kitten chant "You are safe and you are home. You are loved. You will never be without a home again." I think the calm reassurance gets through to them though our words might not.
:vibes::hangin:

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven’t, but I will try, see if it works. She seems to have relaxed a bit today. She did NOT like to be in the house when my friends and I were enjoying a drink on the deck this evening!Totally felt left out of the party! Lol
Have you tried talking back to her? I know it sounds silly but sometimes talking works. "I know I know baby everything is new and you miss your old person. In no time at all you will know this place backwards and then we will find you a new human to love you." Nonsense like that. Just like my new kitten chant "You are safe and you are home. You are loved. You will never be without a home again." I think the calm reassurance gets through to them though our words might not.
:vibes::hangin:

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh-o... do I detect a foster failure here? :lol:
She's rather gorgeous. :redheartpump:
Haha! She is gorgeous without a doubt, and in different circumstances I may be tempted, but I am leaving for a 3 week trip on the 24th and would have no one to look after her if I was interested in adopting her. I am also not sure I am ready to adopt yet after losing Huxley. Time has helped a lot, and I am nearly there, but not quite yet. She is lovely though and will make someone a really great companion (if she can be a tad less chatty!lol)

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So poor Ally threw up this morning and refused to eat anything. She looked fairly sick when I left the house. I called the shelter lady and he told me not to worry and to just go visit my friend anyway and that she’ll be fine. I will be back tomorrow morning. My neighbor will be checking on her this evening. I just hope that it’s just side effect for amoxicillin that she was on for her Upper Resiratory and weepy eye. Can it give nausea/vomiting?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it can cause stomach upset, but cats can be allergic to it as well, so you want to keep an eye on her. My girl that was allergic to penicillen got itchy all over and couldn’t stop scratching. It could of course be a unrelated hairball thing or even a change in diet though.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, it can cause stomach upset, but cats can be allergic to it as well, so you want to keep an eye on her. My girl that was allergic to penicillen got itchy all over and couldn’t stop scratching. It could of course be a unrelated hairball thing or even a change in diet though.
She had no itching whatsoever, just puked this morning and seemed nauseous as she refused to eat. I’m hoping once it’s out of her system she’ll get better. I’ll call the shelter tomorrow if I don’t see any signs of improvement by then.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Let us know how she's doing.
I am very upset (mainly at the shelter people). The poor girl hasn’t eaten a single bit of food since FRIDAY evening and I doubt she had any water either. I kept contacting the woman and all I got from her was “she’s fine”, “I’m not worried” “try to give her some milk maybe”. I gave her Cerenia that I had left from Huxley and some Pepcid. I syringe fed her with some lactose free milk and a bit of pate mixed with pate juice, but the poor thing was clearly nauseous as she walked away from any food and had the lip licking/gulping reaction when faced with food.
I was beside myself that they would not do anything for this poor girl. Had she been mine I would have taken her to the ER yesterday! They came to pick her up this morning and I thought they were going straight to the vet, but no. This woman brought her to her home to see if she could get her to eat something (as if I hadn’t tried every possible food in the house that a cat would love like tuna, chicken, tuna water, treats she loved when she first arrived and all the different kinds of cat food I have in the house) before the main lady from the shelter (the one I was in contact with before) comes back after work this evening to take her.
I understand they are all volunteers, and do the best they can, but this is the second time I foster for them (and end up with a sick cat) and their way of handling things is definitely not for me! I just hope kitty cat is okay. She is such a sweet gently girl.
I don’t think I will foster for them again. I can’t do it this way, and I think they are sick of me and all my calls and text messages asking them to bring the cat to the vet!

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They brought her back to me. The vet said she had a little fever and that her paw was a little infected (they removed a skin tag she had between her toes). They gave her a shot of convenia and that’s it. The shelter lady asked if I would take her back as they are struggling with fosters and she’s used to my house already. I said yes. I just feel sorry for this poor baby. I bought several cans of fancy feast (her old owners said that’s what she likes) some temptation treats (they are not good, I know, but right now we need her to eat), some meal replacement milk and I had Fortiflora. I am trying to entice her to eat anything, but she won’t have any. She just went to the box and had diarrhea, side effect of antibiotic and maybe stress. I just worry. I told the woman that if needed, I’ll take her to the vet again (as it’ll be quicker if I do instead of her coming to pick her up).
Ally seems scared of me and sleepy for now, so I’ll leave her for a bit. Worst case scenario I’ll syringe her with some meal replacement milk this evening.
Any suggestions?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fancy Feast Broth (the pouches) might be worth a try just to get her eating. I break up the meat from the pouches with a fork so my boys will eat it all (instead of just eating the broth.) Also they sell pet safe broth (onion & garlic free) that you can try giving to her to get get to drink.
Do you have the vet's number? I would ask about an anti-nausea medication & maybe a medication for her runs.
:vibes:I hope she feels better soon.:sickcat:

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She did not eat today either. I finally managed to get the shelter to agree to send her to the vet to be monitored and give her fluids or feed her if needed. I am astonished that it took 4 full days to finally do something! I will not foster for them anymore. I cannot condone such practices.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bless you for trying so very hard for this poor girl. Will you know the outcome? Will she come back to you, or are you entirely done? I'm kinda hoping that she does come to you, that you do finish out this foster before leaving them. Ally desperately needs someone who is attentive until she's sorted out, although I understand if you just cannot do it.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bless you for trying so very hard for this poor girl. Will you know the outcome? Will she come back to you, or are you entirely done? I'm kinda hoping that she does come to you, that you do finish out this foster before leaving them. Ally desperately needs someone who is attentive until she's sorted out, although I understand if you just cannot do it.
Ally was only with me for a short period of fostering, supposedly enough time for her to get over her URI before bringing her back to Petco for adoption. She is adorable and should hopefully find a forever home soon! I leave for France on Sunday and she was to get picked up from me then. I have told the lady that if she gets better before that and they need someone, I will happily take her back till Sunday, but I have a feeling it’ll take her time to recover from this. And to be honest, I badgered them so much with worried text messages and demands that they take this poor baby to the vet that I doubt they’ll want to deal with me again! But I just couldn’t shut up. The way they made her wait for so long without medical care felt uncomfortably close to animal cruelty to me!
I wanted to foster because after losing Huxley, I wasn’t ready emotionally to take on the responsability of a new pet, but this backfired big time!