Foster Cat Concern

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fostercatattic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks again everyone, but I am once again concerned and confused.

She hasn’t given birth. So not pregnant. But then why do her nipples/teats look so giant? And more are showing as she looses hair on her stomach?

Could this potentially be a tumor or something?

The owners are taking the cats back (allegedly) in about a week, so if it could be serious I want to take her to the vet/alert the owners as soon as possible.

I’ll attach pictures of what she looks like now.

D594D400-D116-4E51-B552-47574C461FF7.jpeg
C56F9257-DFF7-4AA0-AE95-1154B2186706.jpeg

She won’t really let me see her belly so those are the best I could get

And I suppose it is a relief that she isn’t pregnant, but now I am just wondering what else is going on

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fostercatattic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks again everyone, but I am once again concerned and confused.

She hasn’t given birth. So not pregnant. But then why do her nipples/teats look so giant? And more are showing as she looses hair on her stomach?

Could this potentially be a tumor or something?

The owners are taking the cats back (allegedly) in about a week, so if it could be serious I want to take her to the vet/alert the owners as soon as possible.

I’ll attach pictures of what she looks like now.

View attachment 324994View attachment 324995

She won’t really let me see her belly so those are the best I could get

And I suppose it is a relief that she isn’t pregnant, but now I am just wondering what else is going on
Her fur is all scruffed up on the top cause I was petting her, its not patchy or anything

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It seems like you could do a couple things, either try and get better photos and send them to a vet, or take her in...or wait until you can tell the owners of your concerns and see what they think.

Last edited:

mentat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How many days have you had her? If longer than 63 days, she couldn't mate while with you, and feline gestation is 60-63 days. Obesity is a possibility. Fluid filled abdomen due to infection is a possibility. Only a veterinary physical exam and assessment can rule these possible diagnoses out.
Get in direct contact with owner to get proof of veterinary records indicating vaccines and alter/spay surgery, or authorization to get these from their vet hospital. They need to eat and drink enough to eliminate daily, be free of parasites visibly, and have no sneezing, discharge, lethargy, etc for you to be effectively pet-sitting them while their owner relocates. If fostering, this includes ensuring healthcare and wellbeing as a foster responsibility. The finances of healthcare is not the foster's responsibility.
Legally, many cities and counties animal ordinances state a pet animal is the property of the entity if said entity has housed it for a set minimum of days, such as 7 days in/on your property, nourished and secured by you. No contract such as those used by boarding facilities and shelter foster programs means she could legally be your property, to provide medical decisions.