Foster Cat + 5 Kittens And Now Pregnant Again

williamsonj6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_7911.jpg IMG_7912.jpg

Hi All-
I mainly foster pregnant moms but with it not being kitten season, I haven't had any this winter. About 4 weeks ago my rescue pulled a mom and her 5 3-4 week old kittens at our local animal control. This was 11/30. Long story short, the mom and kittens came down with URI's and the foster wasn't experienced with medicating, etc, so they came to me. They are now all over their URI's and doing well. I had noticed when I got the group, that the moms belly seemed a bit swollen but at the time, nothing really showing. This was about 12/15/17 that I got them. Below are photos that I took yesterday of the mom. I am pretty sure she is pregnant but I am not 100%. No movement or kicking when I feel her belly. I am thinking she is probably 5-7 weeks pregnant. I will be seeing a vet tomorrow but not sure if he will do X-ray or will be able to confirm by feeling her belly. This is my question:

If she is pregnant, do I separate her from her current kittens? Do I keep them all together while she is giving birth? Have any of you had this situation before? If so, would love to hear what you did.

Let me know your thoughts on if you think she is indeed preggo

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Being together is probably not a big problem. The problem is if they do nurse, and she has a new litter, it is and will be a tremendous drenage on her... So that is why a separation may be necessary.
So be sure she has good food, and very calciumrich.
And try to begin wean the kitten as soon as you can, so they wont nurse them more than occassionally most for comfort.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. The situation may easily happen. They come into heat already a week after delivery, and arent protected by giving nursing, unlike human women whom are somwhat protected.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She can continue to nurse her current kittens until the new litter is born, but as Stefan said it can be draining. It gives them a few more important weeks with mom though, but they are almost old enough to be adopted.

Are they eating wet and dry food now? They should be.

Are you fostering for an organization that will place the kittens?

In the meantime, mom needs as much nutrition as she can get to support the pregnancy and nursing kittens. Give her 4-6 wet meals a day along with unlimited kitten chow and water.

Thanks so much for fostering!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
She is beautiful! I am interested in hearing what the x-ray says! My only advice is feed mom as much as you can! I would even look at getting Nutrical paste just for extra nutrients!

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
They come into heat already a week after delivery, and arent protected by giving nursing, unlike human women whom are somwhat protected.
I don't know the statistics but it is very common for breastfeeding women to become pregnant. I'm related to some of them.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes that is why I wrote somewhat protected.

Statistically it works OK compared with totally non-protected. But individually not reliable at all.
I don't know the statistics but it is very common for breastfeeding women to become pregnant. I'm related to some of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

williamsonj6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry I didnt respond sooner. I completely forgot I had posted the question about my foster. She went to vet and he couldnt see much (lets just say, I think he is a pretty unqualified vet- shelters vet not my own) He showed me the xray and there was nothing. However he says to me "there is this circle blob here but I dont see a skeleton" This vet also realized mid conversation that this mom had kittens at my house that she was still nursing. She came into animal control with 5 kittens. He then says "Oh! Well if she is nursing there is no way she can get pregnant" I just about laughed. I think I insulted him by saying "that isnt true. I had a pregnant cat go back to the shelter, not knowing she was pregnant. She had 6 9 week olds. A woman adopted her and 3 weeks later she went into labor" The cat wasnt fixed yet as the rescue waits for milk to dry up. She was on the list to get spayed but they realized she was pregnant. Fortunately the adopter was fine with fostering that litter. SO anyway...once he tells me that in addition to the xray with the "blob" on it, I just left the vet's office with no more news than what I came with. Too expensive for shelter to get another xray done.

So its a wait and see. She does feel bigger and seems pretty tired most of the time. I have had many pregnant fosters so I am pretty sure how to feel for movement, which I dont feel yet. I did do a "kitten due date calculator" online which tells you about when she would have them, if she is pregnant. Her current kittens were born approx 11/2/17 and she came to the shelter as an owner surrender on 11/30/17. Owner said "we just have too many cats" Likely Rinna (the mom) didnt even have to leave the home to get pregnant. They had many cats they surrendered. Somewhere between when the kittens were born and when they were surrendered is when she would have gotten pregnant. I am thinking around 11/27/17 she maybe got impregnated. Only based on when she started showing and her lack of appetite (morning sickness maybe) and being tired. Based on the calculator and the date of 11/27/17, she would be do around 1/31/18. Which right now, puts her at about 6.5 weeks pregnant. Only time will tell.

I am actually leaving for a trip for a week on Saturday. My adult kids and husband will be with her but I am not expecting delivery while I am gone. There is no movement but one never knows!

I will send some pictures later and see if you all think she looks any bigger from the previous pictures.

Thanks to all who have responded!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow! That vet was not very knowledgeable at all.

I agree with you that she sounds pregnant and it's a wait-and-see situation.

It's a blessing those people turned mama and babies in. They will have better futures now.

Do keep us posted. :)

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you get a copy of the xray? I am curious to look at it (I LOVE xrays lol). What did he think the "blob" was if not kittens?

williamsonj6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
5249BE41-71AA-4652-9810-C7710D3487F9.jpeg
4B60E57C-3BB3-47AC-A1E0-D211E5513540.jpeg
87D0CB69-B58B-472D-AE4C-2531B4950EB5.jpeg
Here are a few pictures I took a few hours ago. Not a big change from a week ago but she certainly is looking pregnant. When I was feeling her belly today, I did feel bubbly gurgles, hard to explain. She could have jay had gas!

williamsonj6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you get a copy of the xray? I am curious to look at it (I LOVE xrays lol). What did he think the "blob" was if not kittens?
I did not get copy of X-ray. Now I wish I did

williamsonj6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not much more to report. I am currently in FL visiting my parents while my husband and kids are watching the fosters and the maybe preggo mom, Rinna. When I took on this group, not thinking the mom was pregnant, I took this group over from another foster who was new to fostering and not experienced with giving medication as they all had URI's. The "plan" was my kids would take care of them all while I was on my planned trip. My kids are all young adults and 2 live and home. Obviously, not knowing Rinna was preggo at the time that I took them over, I assumed there would be no issues.

My 26 yr old son said last night "“Fosters are all good. The mom looks like she might be popping them out soon though. She looks pretty bloated!!" I am just hoping she hangs on until I am back home on Sunday!

Here is a video my son took. Sorry its not the best quality.

williamsonj6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was in FL and just got back late last night. I was anxious to see Rinna, the preggo mom as my kids said they thought she was going to "pop" any day. I didn't feel kicking (which I haven't felt yet) but she certainly looks pregnant. I will send some more pictures later and see what you all think. At least if she is pregnant, she kindly waited till I got back from FL!

williamsonj6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: Ready.....NOT pregnant!! Took Rinna in for x ray yesterday since I have felt no movement and if I was right about her being pregnant, she would have been about a week out from due date. I think I walked around in a daze most of the day yesterday. Kept thinking....I cannot believe she isn't pregnant! First time in about 24 pregnant fosters I have had that I was totally wrong. AND she has gained almost 5 lbs since December! She is a litter over 12 lbs and was 8 lbs 2oz when left at animal control on 11/29!