Fosilized Oyster shell calcium

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was reading an article at feline-nutrition.org , the article was about fluoride and potential danger to our raw fed animals . This article suggested not feeding bone-in meats from longer lived animal groups. They suggest that we feed only young chicks etc. Or, bone-less raw diet. In the article they suggested using fossilized oyster shell calcium. I was wondering if any of you have used that ,or, had a thought about it. I feed bone-in and boneless and generally use Alnutrin w/calcium although , I just got my first order or EZ Complete and my cats love it so much I will continue to order it.

I do like to mix up my own supplements sometimes and have very easy access to oyster shell calcium and was just wondering what point of view the folks on this forum thought of that

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Maureen Brad  

In the article they suggested using fossilized oyster shell calcium.

I do like to mix up my own supplements sometimes and have very easy access to oyster shell calcium and was just wondering what point of view the folks on this forum thought of that
You do realise the difference between laboratory-produced fossilised oyster shell calcium - basically calcium carbonate sourced from the inert limestone of millions year-old material and simple, organic oyster shell calcium, which will contain mercury, lead and other heavy-metal bioaccumulation imparted by river runoff, radiation, and even oil spills, yes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
 I have never heard of using oyster shell calcium as a calcium source in boneless raw. I asked about fossilized oyster shell, not organic.

I do use oyster shell in the garden because my soil is clay and the oyster shell allows for drainage.

As far as your response, do you have an opinion on the use of oyster shell calcium in raw food, ? I did mention fossilized oyster shell as that is what feline-nutrition suggested. Do you have any opinion on that?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Maureen,

That's interesting. I just read the article you are referring to here: Fluoride: A Serious Health Risk for Cats and Dogs? - Feline Nutrition

I don't have any opinion on fossilized oyster-shell calcium, but your message made me concerned about using "real bone" in my mixes. It looks like chicken bones from meat chickens (versus laying hens) are fine, and recommended in the article. They cite "shorter-living chickens, calves, and lambs" as having less fluoride than older animals. Since I don't have a grinder, I use meat-chicken bones in all my mixes for calcium/minerals. Those birds are killed before they are a year old, so they won't have time to accumulate much fluoride or lead.

I also "offer" my cats purified, bottled RO water instead of the city fluoridated tap water. Not that they drink it. I've never seen the kitten take one sip of water, and my senior cat drinks about 1/4 cup of water per day.

What worried me is that they are saying not to feed oily fish, and I feed a rotation of tinned sardines, salmon and mackerel instead of a fish oil Omega-3 supplement. I'll have to rethink that.

Good article. Thanks for the heads up! :rock: