Former feral with asthma

Gail in San Diego

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve adopted an asthmatic 11 year old cat with 6 months of living with his rescuer. I can’t approach him (with a treat) without him hissing and scratching the heck out of my hands. It’s been two days and he hasn’t eaten, so I have no way to give him his prednisone. If he has an asthma attack, I hope he’ll be distracted enough for me to use the inhaler.
Does anyone have advice for me and Diddy?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!
Im not sure, this might be a medicine that could be made into a transdermal, that you could apply to his ear with less risk to yourself?

Can you talk to your vet, maybe they could provide some advice or even someone who could come by and help (within covid guidelines).

Also, try something here, he needs to eat

Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

And also, try cat music for him, there's MusicForCats, RelaxMyCat or Cat in my Arms, on spotify or elsewhere.

Sit on the floor with him, but don't approach him or look directly at him (this can seem aggressive to cats), and read a little to him or just sit and work on your computer.

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He hasn't eaten for two days? That doesn't sound good. I have a former feral with asthma as well. He gets his medicine every other day and I put it in a bit of wet food. I wait to make sure he eats it (I have other cats I need to keep away from it) and then give him the rest of his food. I have a friend who put the medicine in one of those broth type foods they sell. Good luck.