former feral help

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fudge was a feral kitten around 3 months old when he was trapped. He looks like a seal point siamese. I fostered he and his sister, and they were in a crate until they became used to me, and my other cats. Sister got adopted and was more sociable than Fudge from the beginning. It has been 4 years, and Fudge gets along with the other cats, and sits on my lap if I am at the computer, or on the couch or bed, and is very affectionate. Other times, he hides in the basement, goes around cying if the basement door is closed, and does the low crouch run from me if I am walking in the house. He will hide for hours in the basement if someone comes to the house even for a minute. I tried keeping the basement door closed, but that upsets him.

Is there anything I can do at this late stage to reduce his fear? Why is he crouch running from me? He knows me, shows me affection, loves to be fed.
I don't know what to do, but would love to have an idea, it seems like a lost cause. I live alone with him, and 4 other furbabies, none that are fearful like him.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That sweet baby, I'm sorry he's so scared of people, although my Poppycat doesn't like strangers in the house either. He will do that same crouch and head for his safe spot - he's 15 years old.

Have you tried cat music? Also, don't force anything on him, and when you're walking, don't look at him directly - direct eye contact can seem aggressive to some cats.

I wouldn't close the basement door if at all possible. That's his safe haven and he definitely needs it. (Is it warm in your basement? Would you consider giving him a litterbox so he can be more comfortable?)

Try cat music for him - it won't eliminate his fearfulness, and you're right, there might not be anything that does, but it could help him be a little more relaxed. There are members who have had wonderful results with it. There's Classical harp music, also Cat In My Arms on Spotify or Youtube along with other cat music, and additionally there's RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats.

I'm don't know if Fudge will change much but thinking optimistically :), there might be something in these articles;

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles

How To Help An Abused Cat Recover – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sweet baby, I'm sorry he's so scared of people, although my Poppycat doesn't like strangers in the house either. He will do that same crouch and head for his safe spot - he's 15 years old.

Have you tried cat music? Also, don't force anything on him, and when you're walking, don't look at him directly - direct eye contact can seem aggressive to some cats.

I wouldn't close the basement door if at all possible. That's his safe haven and he definitely needs it. (Is it warm in your basement? Would you consider giving him a litterbox so he can be more comfortable?)

Try cat music for him - it won't eliminate his fearfulness, and you're right, there might not be anything that does, but it could help him be a little more relaxed. There are members who have had wonderful results with it. There's Classical harp music, also Cat In My Arms on Spotify or Youtube along with other cat music, and additionally there's RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats.

I'm don't know if Fudge will change much but thinking optimistically :), there might be something in these articles;

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles

How To Help An Abused Cat Recover – TheCatSite Articles
thank you, I will check them out.