Forensic questions about a cat skeleton I found...

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, I recently discovered a cat skeleton in an out-of-the-way location in the crawlspace under my home, and my first thought was that it might be Sage, who has been MIA since May 1st of this year. However, upon closer inspection, the skeleton looked to have been there for a very long time: no flesh or fur, just the bones of a cat lying on its side, long past any stage of decomposition except for time wearing on the bones. I wish I could say with certainty that the bones belonged to Sage, that way I'd know that he wasn't torn to pieces by coyotes... but it doesn't seem likely that a cat could decompose into such a state in six relatively short months.

Could Arizona really do this to a dead cat? Wear it away in accelerated decomposition till the cat looked like something out of ancient Egypt? We do have heaps of ants & beetles & whatnot, and the aridity might be a factor. Here's something else I noticed: the skull of the cat looked like it still had the ears attached, minus the fur. So here are my forensic questions: Are cats ears made of cartilage? And how quickly does cartilage decompose, if ever? What I mean is this: could this be the skeleton of a cat who died twenty years ago, or would the ears be long gone? Could this actually be my missing Sage, since the ears still appear to be attached to the skull?

I keep wondering whether Sage crawled under the home to die, and wondering whether these are his remains, though I never smelled any foul odors of decomposition during the past six months. I'd like to think these are his bones, and that perhaps he simply entered the crawlspace, laid down on the cool dirt and died... sure would beat the other scenario, being torn to pieces by varmints. This skeleton looks so old, and yet the attached ears seem like a clue... I recall seeing a cat's skeleton before in some museum or textbook photo, but I don't remember seeing ears on that cat skeleton. If the skeleton under my home is actually Sage, is it possible that springtime insects could've worked so fast and the bones weathered so quickly as to appear much older?

Those are my questions, all observations or explanations are welcome... perhaps someone who works in forensics can enlighten me with regard to the ear cartilage, if that's what it truly is. I might add that we have strong winds on occasion, so dust could've blown through exposed skirting sections of the home and coated this skeleton, making it appear older in the dim light. A flashlight didn't help much, even with bright LEDs the bones simply looked ancient... but on the other hand, my cat Sage has been missing since May 1st, and he was around 20 years old at the time of his disappearance. Maybe the ear cartilage will offer some clue... in the meantime, I buried the skeleton in place, not with a shovel but by covering it with a deep layer of potting soil, I bought a big bag of soil expressly for the purpose since I didn't want to disturb the bones.

I will check later this week to see if anybody has replied to this thread, now it's time to head back to the ol' hacienda and relax with a cold beer.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not experienced in forensics, but I do find it fascinating in a way because it's always good to be able to get closure for people who are missing a loved one. The science of forensics is so detailed and so meticulous and it's amazing what they can find now days.
I do know that air temperature, humidity, insect activity, and many other factors can really speed or slow decomposition, but that's as much as I know.
If it were me, I would use a stone marker to mark the burial and tell myself that this cats name is Sage. Whether or not they're the Sage you once knew, a cat that was given a proper burial needs a proper name and Sage is a good one.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, anywhere it is hot and dry, decomposition will accelerate. At the extreme opposite end, the cat's body would be perfectly preserved for hundreds of years if he had died in the Antarctica.

There is a good probability that kitty is Sage. If it is him, please take comfort in the fact that he died in a safe and secure place. May he rest in peace.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I researched it some, and it stated that hot and dry will definitely accelerate the decomposing. Out in the open, scavenger insects would quickly clean the skeleton. The fact that there was cartilage still attached to the skull does point to this being a more recent death. I truly think that if the skeleton was ancient or older then a year, the ears would not be present. I would venture that the possiblity of this being Sage is very high. A coyote attack would leave SOME kind of evidence around, fur, etc. even if at a distance. Cats hide when they sense the end is near, and I really don't think tehy would travel far into unknown territory to do so. He died in the place that he called home, surrounded by your love.....

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From what I know of forensics, and what I know of the weather in Arizona, I believe that this may well be Sage. And I think it may well be healthy for you to accept him as such. Your wondering is at an end, and he met an easy death in a familiar place. Mark him now, remember him always.

Rest you gentle, Sage, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I certainly hope it is Sage... if only to know he didn't die at the hands (or teeth) of varmints. I've yet to read the link sent in a private conversation, but it may give me a clue about decomposition in this arid environment. At least the cat has a thick blanket of soil to keep his bones warm this winter... poor Sage, I wish I had been able to say goodbye, he was the best (four-legged) friend I ever had. May he rest in eternal peace. 😥

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen a lot of animals pass in varied environments and while I am not a forensics expert, I have discovered many things during my pursuit of archeology that provides clues. Insects work very quickly in many places and it’s not unheard of to not have an odor. An arid enviroment does preserve very well. The mineral content of the soil plays a large part as well. It can even color the bones or make them appear older. It does sound like that could be your missing Sage. I am so sorry for your months of worry and loss. Placing the soil there to provide soft cover honors the kitty. Sage rests where he chose to be. He was safe and in a peaceful place. We would all hope to go quietly that way. Perhaps you found him so you could talk to him, say goodbye and know that he chose to stay close to you. He will be at peace and part of him will remain in your heart always. He has not left you completely. Our hearts are with you now too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I appreciate all of your replies, and I offer many thanks... now it's time to focus upon those kitties in my home, including the three I rescued to take Sage's place. They are dear to me as well, and Phoenix was actually named after Sage... as in a phoenix rising from the ashes of Sage's memory. She's a real sweetheart, Tiger is more of a rambunctious teenager and Boots is downright ornery at times (not toward me, but toward the other cats). But they get along well enough overall, and Boots sleeps near Tiger & Crackhead without any drama... she just likes her space in hallways and doorways, LOL. :angrycat:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A good plan. Maybe you could start a thread about your rescues and their antics. It sounds like they are a wonderful bunch with lots of purrsonality. I bet Boots demands a toll to enter the hall. Smart kitty.