Foreign Language Threads????

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
For the past three days I have been receiving numerous emails notifications from The Cat Site,but the are all in what appears to be chinese or egyptian or something, so I cannot read anything except who they are from. I haven't opened any of them in case there is some sort of virus attached and they are not really from here.

Below is a screen print so you can see what I'm talking about. What is happening?

upload_2017-5-25_9-23-32.png

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you hover the curser over The Cat Site in the From column, do you get a little box that tells you what the entire email address is? The actual email address can be a junk / Spam one that is spoofing The Cat Site.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you hover the curser over The Cat Site in the From column, do you get a little box that tells you what the entire email address is? The actual email address can be a junk / Spam one that is spoofing The Cat Site.
Yes, I do that whenever I get something that appears to be from my bank, etc. :wink: It says ([email protected]), which seems to be correct, but these emails are NOT correct. Something is wrong, definitely wrong.

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't get the emails but yesterday morning and then again this morning when I click on the new threads link something very similar shows up as a whole bunch of new threads. They disappeared yesterday only to reappear this morning.

I took a screen shot but got some reason this morning I can't seem to figure out how to attach it. :ohwell:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
We're currently under some kind of coordinated spam attack in Chinese. There are no links in the messages so the spam filter wasn't catching these. I just tweaked it to try and catch Chinese characters and we'll have to see how that works.
Once we get a report, we can usually clean up the spam within an hour or so. The first moderator that gets to it can use our spam cleanup tool to ban and delete all content by that spammer.

We rely on you for those quick reports so thank you for making them! Fingers crossed that we'll soon find away to prevent them from appearing in the first place.