For those who feed raw, how do you feed when you have long work days?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have those :) I’m proud of being extra for my fur babies.
nice! Google said not to freeze baby food jars but if you already do it, it should work.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
nice! Google said not to freeze baby food jars but if you already do it, it should work.
Well, I bought the really fancy ones that are made for freezing, so you probably can’t freeze all glass jars. The ones I have are the oxo tot brand.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I bought the really fancy ones that are made for freezing, so you probably can’t freeze all glass jars. The ones I have are the oxo tot brand.

I should probably mention I don’t have a grinder/vitamix so I’m gonna do raw chicken wing bone cut up so I’ll hold off on small containers until I get a grinder. It’s the thought that counts. And wooo anything by xo is expensive, how many of those do you have?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Google will also say that glass jars are safe to freeze if the opening is wide meaning there's no shoulder. I've been freezing such recycled glass jars all my life and never had any accident. I never fill it full though, I don't close the lid when I put it in the freezer but after several hours, and sometimes with the bigger jar, I place it horizontally at the beginning, then after few hours vertically (it doesn't work with liquid, obviously).

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Google will also say that glass jars are safe to freeze if the opening is wide meaning there's no shoulder. I've been freezing such recycled glass jars all my life and never had any accident. I never fill it full though, I don't close the lid when I put it in the freezer but after several hours, and sometimes with the bigger jar, I place it horizontally at the beginning, then after few hours vertically (it doesn't work with liquid, obviously).
what about something like

It looks like wide mouth idk

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I should probably mention I don’t have a grinder/vitamix so I’m gonna do raw chicken wing bone cut up so I’ll hold off on small containers until I get a grinder. It’s the thought that counts. And wooo anything by xo is expensive, how many of those do you have?
I would be really careful about the size that you cut bones too because if they are too small to chew then they can be a choking hazard

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use these 4oz jar so far no issue!

(and yes, I do freeze various recycled jars to store people food vs. kitties get everything brand new ...)

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would be really careful about the size that you cut bones too because if they are too small to chew then they can be a choking hazard
I was looking at this video she didn’t chop the bones but cut it like length wise

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't leave raw food, even frozen, out all day. A Frosty Bowl might keep the raw mixture good for a few hours.

A better way is to just leave canned food out for the cat. You can use a programmable timed feeder for this.
Good idea! PetMate makes a reasonable auto feeder. You can set up 4 meal times. I have used one for years and it is great. I do put frozen raw food in it for 5 hours sometimes. Why is this a problem? I don't think my cat would eat it if it was spoiled.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Good idea! PetMate makes a reasonable auto feeder. You can set up 4 meal times. I have used one for years and it is great. I do put frozen raw food in it for 5 hours sometimes. Why is this a problem? I don't think my cat would eat it if it was spoiled.
It's just risky - some of us don't want to take the risk.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn’t need to “spoil” to harbor enough bacteria to make you and your cat’s life miserable. Krista got clostridium this summer, likely from an undercooked piece of meat in the slow cooker. Diarrhea for months!

I would keep some amount of canned in your cat’s diet to weather out supply issues, logistics problems (long work days), and cats can be fussy.

For storage and serving, I portion to snack bags. Wasteful. Sure. You can get reusable baggies instead. I weigh out about an ounce to a baggie, press flat, and freeze. This way if I forget to take a baggie from freezer to fridge the night before, it only takes a few minutes under luke warm water to thaw to serve.

I got a manual grinder off Amazon for $30. (Weston #10 Manual Grinder and Sausage Maker.) It works very well. Sure it’s more work than an electric. But I figured I’d start with the manual and make certain myself and my cat really need an electric grinder upgrade. After several successful batches, I think we are ready for the upgrade.

Don’t be in a rush to go 100% raw. Stage it in so that you don’t leave your cat(s) without options if you’re not successful at first. Adjust the ratio as you get better at making, feeding, and the cats approve.