For those who feed raw, how do you feed when you have long work days?

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I read that some people leave out it frozen and let it thaw over the course of the day.... thoughts? It's probably not the best solution but sometimes I have 12 hour days

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't ever let raw food sit out and thaw. I feed only homemade raw when we are home but I freeze portions of canned food and put it in a timed feeder when we are gone for a long day. I just don't feel comfortable with leaving raw food out.

In the grand scheme of things the canned food probably ends up making up about 1/10th of the cats' diets.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't leave raw food, even frozen, out all day. A Frosty Bowl might keep the raw mixture good for a few hours.

A better way is to just leave canned food out for the cat. You can use a programmable timed feeder for this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh ok, that makes sense. I didn't know cats could switch from raw to canned esp since they're so picky. I haven't started raw feeding yet, but I would like to. So glad asian marts carry chicken hearts because I couldn't find it in american grocery chains.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
oh ok, that makes sense. I didn't know cats could switch from raw to canned esp since they're so picky. I haven't started raw feeding yet, but I would like to. So glad asian marts carry chicken hearts because I couldn't find it in american grocery chains.
I get hearts and liver from the butcher. They can usually easily get them for you and they're quite cheap.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my cats don't eat during a day, but it's usually no more than 8h. they mostly sleep when we're gone anyway. They adjusted very well to it, although note that for some cats it can be a stomach problem. Even when we're staying with them, on weekend or wfh they are not fed during normal working hours.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have 12 hour days but my cats get fed twice a day. I have 2 that eat canned in the morning and homemade raw at night. Canned and raw can be fed together no problem. Also keep in mind if you don't free feed your cat will be more inclined to eat what you do put down on their bowls. And canned get be left out all day. Just throw it out when you do get home.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
it's not that he's free-fed but rather doesn't finish his food in one sitting. maybe that'll change when he gets introduced to raw. so.... how's the poop? I heard it's virtually odorless... another big reason why I wanna make the switch.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it's not that he's free-fed but rather doesn't finish his food in one sitting. maybe that'll change when he gets introduced to raw. so.... how's the poop? I heard it's virtually odorless... another big reason why I wanna make the switch.
If on 100% raw yes it's odorless. We still notice a bad smell for our 2 that are on half raw and half high quality canned. My 1 cat that eats 100% raw we never notice when he poops.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Mine don’t have smelly poops.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Two of mine don’t have smelly poops, but the third one does, although it’s not as bad as if she were on an all-canned diet. It’s probably because I add Miralax to her food because she gets constipated. She also poops only every three days, and it’s the size of a small planet. :)

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two of mine don’t have smelly poops, but the third one does, although it’s not as bad as if she were on an all-canned diet. It’s probably because I add Miralax to her food because she gets constipated. She also poops only every three days, and it’s the size of a small planet. :)
Does miralax make poos smell?! Coincidently the 2 smelly poo cats that are on 50/50 are also on miralax! They were eating mainly dry food before me so I think their colons got enlarged which causes a bit of constipation.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok so about adding fish right. Roman has FLUTD but it hasn’t shown up since 2018. Can I add a salmon pill OR alternatively sardines? It’s probably cheaper to buy those pills in bulk @ Costco.

what do you store your portions in ? I was thinking baby food containers if I can find them for cheap.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy salmon pills from costco. Much easier to deal with. I just poke a hole in it during feeding time and squeeze onto their bowls.

Attachments

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Containers

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You guys I’m gonna be extra as heck and buy 4oz baby glass food jars at .63c a pop so I don’t have to take the extra time to portion stuff out LMAO.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
You guys I’m gonna be extra as heck and buy 4oz baby glass food jars at .63c a pop so I don’t have to take the extra time to portion stuff out LMAO.
I have those :) I’m proud of being extra for my fur babies.