For Those That Feed Friskies .

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Friskies Extra Gravy Pate on your cats? There are 4 flavors. Ingredients are the same as the Classic Pate it looks like.. My cats are crazy about the Extra Gravy. It has a lot of juice and a smoother texture. I found mine at Wal-Mart but they also sell on chewy.com

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Does it add more calories? I always noticed that friskies was pretty dry. Do you get less pate though because they added in more gravy? Maybe ill get a couple cans and try them.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Never even heard of it! I don't pay much attention to anything with "gravy" in the name because it typically means thickeners/carbs! I do wonder like PP mentioned...Are the cans still 5.5oz? Does that mean less meat to add more gravy? If so, idk how I feel about that. Definitely looking into it more now though!

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does it add more calories? I always noticed that friskies was pretty dry. Do you get less pate though because they added in more gravy? Maybe ill get a couple cans and try them.
Darn...it actually looks like these flavors have LESS calories... I'm guessing because of less meat :ohwell:. 2 of the 4 flavors are salmon and tuna so I wouldn't personally feed those. They have chicken and turkey too though but only 160 calories/can which means my kitty would need more than 1 can a day and it'd up my food cost.

Also, the protein is only 8% while it's 10% in the original pates.

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been wanting to try it because my girl is gravy crazy but will only actually eat pate.

On a completely unrelated note: Are your kitties named after Sailor Moon? That brings me back to my childhood watching it! (Still go back for nostalgia's sake and rewatch it every now and again.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's 30 less calories than the Classic Pate. It's quite a bit juicer with a smoother texture. The "gravy" is more like a broth. If I figured it right it's less than 5%carbs. It seems to be the same amount of food in the can. I'll keep feeding it because my cats have never been this excited about wet food before.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it really the same amount of meat? I guess it still says 5.5 oz can. I just tried it with them tonight. I had to go to Wal-Mart anyway.

mikameek mikameek Yes they are.

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It looks like even the chicken and turkey, like so many other cat foods, still have fish in them, so I guess I won't be trying them.

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it really the same amount of meat? I guess it still says 5.5 oz can. I just tried it with them tonight. I had to go to Wal-Mart anyway.

I can't say for sure. It doesn't really matter to me. It's wet food and my cats like it.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't say for sure. It doesn't really matter to me. It's wet food and my cats like it.
And that's what matters most! My cats like the regular pate too, and I noticed on chewy the extra gravy variety pack is $4 more than the OG pate. I don't think I want to pay the extra $4 if my cats don't notice a difference.
But if your cats really like it-that's great! Always good to find another food that they will eat up.

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And that's what matters most! My cats like the regular pate too, and I noticed on chewy the extra gravy variety pack is $4 more than the OG pate. I don't think I want to pay the extra $4 if my cats don't notice a difference.
But if your cats really like it-that's great! Always good to find another food that they will eat up.
So true. It is more expensive on chewy but thankfully in Wal-Mart it's
.48 cents like the rest.

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I love Sailor Moon! And I love the way you named your kittes :)

I hope no one will be offended by me asking if Friskies is nutrionally sound. I have had people talk to me like it's McDonald's when I bring it up. I looked into it because Aslan eats FF and he loves the Gravy Lover's kind but the Friskies is cheaper and has bigger cans...

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I hope no one will be offended by me asking if Friskies is nutrionally sound. I have had people talk to me like it's McDonald's when I bring it up. I looked into it because Aslan eats FF and he loves the Gravy Lover's kind but the Friskies is cheaper and has bigger cans...
A lot of people would disagree but I think it is . It has a good amount of meat and low carbs, most less than 5% if you stay with the Classic Pate. If you're on a budget it's an economical way to feed an all wet diet.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise

Well any of the chunks, filets, bits, and stuff with the gravies has a lot of carbs, but that goes for any brand. The pates are better. I would think of it like going to mcdonalds and getting the grilled chicken instead of the burger on the sandwich.

But i dont think they are that bad. They only real difference between Friskies and FF is the rice and people seem to be okay with FF.