For the time being.....

Peggythecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so I feel awful but for the time being I need to keep my in my room till I find a new place in a few months. My fingers and Is roomate told us our cant roam the house. I rent a room and out of the blue he said this. After we literaly just got her and discussed this with him and he was fine with it. Now not so much. I've started picking up one shifts at work to quickly get money to move out what can I do in the mean time to keep her comfortable. Our room isn't that small and I have everything she needs and she seems to be doing OK. Im going to try to get her a harness so we can get her some outside time. She's doing fine mentally at the moment.

Please no hate im trying to do EVERYTHING in my power to make her happy and comfy

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your cat will be fine in a room right now while you deal with your situation. Have you ever had a cat before? How old is she? If you have a window, fix it so that she can get up to look out. Even some stacked boxes with a towel to sit on will work. Allowing her out on harness would be great, but make sure she has had all her shots, and is on a flea preventative if you do. Carve out some play time in the morning, or before whenever you go to work, and whatever other time you can spare. Put her litter box as far away as you can from her food, and make sure she has fresh water. While room to run is great, most cats at shelters have less room than this, so don’t beat yourself up. Good luck!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Peggythecat Peggythecat Welcome to TCS.

I'm not sure what your question is. Are you asking if your cat will be OK confined to one room or do you want advice on how to keep her occupied?

If it's the first question, of course she will. You can make one small room into a very comfortable place for a cat to live. Does she have a window she can see out of? A cat tree or cat shelving? Plenty of toys?

If you only have limited space the best option is to expand upwards, Cats use vertical space the way we use horizontal space, so giving her extra level sis like giving her a bigger room.

Some articles that may help.

Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know – TheCatSite Articles

7 Proven Ways To Get Your Cat To Be More Active – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Peggythecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry I was really upset when I wrote this most if my wording didn't make sense. I want to know how to keep her occupied and will she be ok in a room. Becuase people keep telling me tonget rid of the cat amd what im doing is cruel and I should be ashamed. So I've been feeling extremely upset but I'm trying to do everyone in my power to make her comfy. Anyways she does have balance issues so she can't really climb but there is a window next to my bed she can look out of on my night stand

Hi Peggythecat Peggythecat Welcome to TCS.

I'm not sure what your question is. Are you asking if your cat will be OK confined to one room or do you want advice on how to keep her occupied?

If it's the first question, of course she will. You can make one small room into a very comfortable place for a cat to live. Does she have a window she can see out of? A cat tree or cat shelving? Plenty of toys?

If you only have limited space the best option is to expand upwards, Cats use vertical space the way we use horizontal space, so giving her extra level sis like giving her a bigger room.

Some articles that may help.

Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know – TheCatSite Articles

7 Proven Ways To Get Your Cat To Be More Active – TheCatSite Articles
I'm getting her more places to hide since she likes to do that and some more toys today as well [

Peggythecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I had a cat before but he was able to go where he pleased in the apparment where I was living at the time. Shes 2 years old but has balance issues so she can't really climb on anything.so I plan to get her some more places to hide. Since she likes to do that. I did fix the window up in our room so she can try to look out but I don't know how well she can get to it.
Your cat will be fine in a room right now while you deal with your situation. Have you ever had a cat before? How old is she? If you have a window, fix it so that she can get up to look out. Even some stacked boxes with a towel to sit on will work. Allowing her out on harness would be great, but make sure she has had all her shots, and is on a flea preventative if you do. Carve out some play time in the morning, or before whenever you go to work, and whatever other time you can spare. Put her litter box as far away as you can from her food, and make sure she has fresh water. While room to run is great, most cats at shelters have less room than this, so don’t beat yourself up. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You're not being cruel at all. It would be way more stressful for her to be rehomed, so don't listen to what those mean people are saying.

Cats are fine in just one room as long as they have things to keep them from getting bored. Maybe you could build her a carpeted ramp or get some of those steps for elderly pets to help her get up to the window?

1610842159062.png
1610842190540.png

These are made for dogs, but they'd work just as well for cats. If she has balance issues make sure that any surface you make for her to walk on is carpeted. Cats use their claws a lot to help them balance. She'll be more stable on a carpeted surface than one that is plain wood.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can use sturdy boxes to make "stairs" so your cat can get to the window. Stack them up in graduated heights. I have a set of boxes next to my bed to help one of my cats get on the bed. Both cats will use the "stairs". I got the boxes for free at BJs so they're made of really thick corrugated cardboard.

Peggythecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel awful the more I read the more I feel bad for getting her in this situation. I love her dearly but I don't want to mentally hurt her you know? Maybe things will go ok if I get her a harness idk. I feel awful and physically started to shake earlier and I've never had that happen before. I just want to make things easy and comfortable for her. She keeps going to the door at night meowing and it honestly hurts bevuase there is nothing I can do for the moment