For Real, TOO MANY Cats

Choose2rejoice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First off, let it be known, I LOVE my cats.
I was having them spayed, neutered and shots given 2 and 3 at a time for at least 6 months. Then came ill health to me and it rendered me helpless except to throw out feed. By the time that had somewhat abated, although not completely, I had new cats which people had dropped off as I live in the country. And the cats I hadn't gotten around to having spayed were giving us more cats/kittens at an alarming rate. I don't know how many felines I have I quit counting.

Prior to falling ill, I had taken eight to the local no kill shelter. That cost a hundred dollars, plus the donated cat food that they liked. But it broke my heart to have to leave them in surroundings unfarmiliar to them.
It is down to the point I can't afford to keep, feed, etc.. all of these cats and kittens.
I've thought about building some sort of cat shelter, but I can't afford that either. Nor am I up to knowing how to go about it. I'm certainly not getting any younger, and my husband is absolutely unable to help, although very willing.

If anyone has any knowledge on how to deal with such matters I would certainly be willing to listen. As for right now it's not looking good.

Thank you for any and all encouragement, words of advice, or whatever except for any type of meanness. I only just joined this site today looking for answers.
God bless.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We all know, it happens so easily! One unspayed cat sneaks off and next thing you know you're up to your eyeballs in kittens. . .

What area do you live in? Someone may know of a cat agency in the vicinity that can help.

Is it possible at this time to confine all the females? In a barn, shed, dog kennel, etc.? That would help to keep the population stable while you figure things out.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
“kittens To Good Homes” – How To Find A Good Forever Home For Your Kittens – TheCatSite Articles
Feral Friends Network® Connect

Are there local rescues or other resources you can begin to contact? Alley Cat Allies has a Feral Friends Network and you could easily sign up to be contacted by someone locally who could help. It is worth a try although I have to add a disclaimer that I don't believe that they have the ability to update the list and sometimes you find someone and sometimes you don't.

Apparel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do these cats live in your home? Seperating the males from the females is your best bet. If they do live in your home then I personally would try to get the males fixed first as they spray more. If you notice some of your female cats are pregnant already you should get them spayed as long as they aren't too far along even if you don't agree with it. My neighbor had a huge horde of 70+ cats and was kicked out but last I heard she is getting help. Do what Willowy said and reach out to any cat organization's near you, If you don't know of any then tell us the area you live in and I am sure someone here can call around for you. Good luck with everything!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Instead of giving free kittens away charge a reasonable price to help attract responsible owners.
Remember the old axiom, “Man values most those things which come at a cost.”

In other words, if something is free, people won’t care about it but, as soon as they have to pay for something, it becomes valuable.

Even if you only charged $10.00, people will value adopting a cat from you more than getting it for free.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No mean comments from us, only welcome! :welcomesign:Many of us have experienced population explosions because of dumped kitties and a hard time affording spays and neuters. All the advice given above is good!!Nextdoor might be the closest as far as finding adoptions. Some places have “Barn cat programs that offer spay and neuter services and possible adoptions.” Most discount spay and neuter services in most places also help by providing immunizations like rabies shots. Alleycatallies is a great resource and maybe BestFriends. I would do a google search for community cat rescues, stray cat rescues, feral cat rescues and Humane societies that may have help or suggestions. Ask everyone you talk to if they know of any way to get help. Call, text and email regularly and repeatedly contact these places! Don’t get frustrated by the terms ,” we don’t know or don’t have space.” Eventually, if you persist, you will get leads to follow. There are discount spay and neuter services in most places. Call local vets and ask for help or info. Maybe start a go fund me to get a shelter built or food for them/vet care. Many pet food companies will offer you coupons if you call and explain the desperation of the situation and that you are just trying to keep them fed until you get things under control. Some give litter coupons too. Are these ferals? If you can get one or two socialized at a time, they can be adopted more easily. Kittens need to be grabbed up as soon as they can leave mom cat to avoid more coming into heat. Get the mom cats spayed before all else if possible. If you can stop the females then things will get easier. I do know what it is like because I counted over 120 ferals, dumped kitties and strays next to me and they were being abused so I stepped in. It seemed impossible to get them all safe and attended to but , with the help I found over time, the whole colony is now safe, vetted and most got adopted. It was done by grabbing females and kittens up first. A few at a time. There finally came a day when I got the last cat! I actually came here looking for help , just as you did. I got invaluable envouragment and support and years later, I am still here and writing the thread about the cats that remained with me as well as updates at times in some that got adopted by people who stay in touch. I am so sorry this all got out of hand for you. I do hope you are better now and that you will find resources. If we can help to locate something you can private message with a general location. If you google things yourself it will be quicker and establish you with these rescue groups. Google your city, state, county and even go further afield if needed. I even used a shelter in another state that was excellent. No kill. Truly no kill. I no it’s hard to put the kitties in a shelter but getting them into safe homes is the best life for them and once they are, you will be so relieved. Just don’t give up! Never give up. Please keep us updated. Thank you for all you have done to help these kitties. If everyone cared the way you do, no cat would be out there like that. Start small but hold on!

LadyKhaos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've read people are buying free or cheap kittens to feed to snakes :( I agree what most have said and sell them for a reasonable price to attract responsible owners. Also I've seen some fosters have a few meetings with the person interested to see how they bond with the cats. I had to fill out an adoption application for my newest cat, I agreed to them potentially coming to check up on her to see how she's doing, I agreed that if I didn't want her or if she didn't work out that she would be brought back there and not rehomed or put in a shelter. I had to give some information like how many animals are in the household, any children, and background things like that. I got her for 75$ :)

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
First off, let it be known, I LOVE my cats.
I was having them spayed, neutered and shots given 2 and 3 at a time for at least 6 months. Then came ill health to me and it rendered me helpless except to throw out feed. By the time that had somewhat abated, although not completely, I had new cats which people had dropped off as I live in the country. And the cats I hadn't gotten around to having spayed were giving us more cats/kittens at an alarming rate. I don't know how many felines I have I quit counting.

Prior to falling ill, I had taken eight to the local no kill shelter. That cost a hundred dollars, plus the donated cat food that they liked. But it broke my heart to have to leave them in surroundings unfarmiliar to them.
It is down to the point I can't afford to keep, feed, etc.. all of these cats and kittens.
I've thought about building some sort of cat shelter, but I can't afford that either. Nor am I up to knowing how to go about it. I'm certainly not getting any younger, and my husband is absolutely unable to help, although very willing.

If anyone has any knowledge on how to deal with such matters I would certainly be willing to listen. As for right now it's not looking good.

Thank you for any and all encouragement, words of advice, or whatever except for any type of meanness. I only just joined this site today looking for answers.
God bless.
If you are in the US go to FB and contact animal shelters for TNR groups ...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've been in a similar position myself, I know how quickly things can get out of hand.

:hugs:

How many cats are you feeding altogether? How many are spayed and neutered? If you could let us know what state and city you live in we might be able to help you find a free spay and neuter clinic. Or Google Free spay and neuter for your area. Lots of cities offer discount or free vet care for people on lower incomes.

Getting everyone fixed is the first step. It's like turning off the taps before you start to mop up the flood. There are people and organisations who will be able to help you.

We're glad you found us.

:catlove:

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear of your ill health, and I hope things are able to improve for you soon.
As for the cats and kittens, I'd say reach out to as many rescues near and far as you can. There are some amazing people out there. Even ones willing to travel. And don't get discouraged by a few that might not send as friendly responses. I've dealt with some that my daughter likes to refer to as 'Salty'. Keep trying, and don't give up on the contacting front.
As for giving away or cheaply? I have to say I rarely do that. And when I find one that needs a home and is friendly enough to be adopted, do the research. I had a rescue tell me they talk a lot with the person that wants to adopt first. Get their address so you can see if they look like hoarders (you can do that by a drive-by or Google Earth), and ask for their vets' info. The main problem with free or cheap pets, is that there are many hunters, dog fighting trainers, and just in general sick people; that will use a cat/kitten/wildlife in giving it to a viscous dog. I've seen enough videos to forever warn people away from advertising free and inexpensive (& defenseless) animals. So please be careful if you do that.
And lastly, there are funding sites you can always try. To explain what your goal is (spaying/medical attention/shelter) and ask for donations. Show them what you're doing and have done, and what you still want to achieve. I haven't gotten there yet, but believe me, surely will one day. That's all I can think of to offer in advice. I hope you're able to get the problem under control one way or another.
Thank you for helping them as you have and continue. And best of luck!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
alleycat.org
bestfriends.org
animalrescuedirectory.net
and using your computer's and social media platforms' search engines and inputting something like "cat rescues/sanctuaries in (your chosen area)". Please do not give up, and yes, spay/neuter is the FIRST step. We spent years in our place two locations ago, earning the trust of the community cats in our area and getting them spayed/neutered, basic checkups and innoculations. We were able to adopt them ourselves except for some small very adoptable kittens who went with a friend who did rescue/adoption; they were all adopted according to her. One little guy escaped my humane trap and ran off. Everyone else was successfully spayed/neutered and adopted by us. We were able to do this; not everyone is, so those resources may be of help. Don't give up. DON'T GIVE UP.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I've read people are buying free or cheap kittens to feed to snakes :( I agree what most have said and sell them for a reasonable price to attract responsible owners. Also I've seen some fosters have a few meetings with the person interested to see how they bond with the cats. I had to fill out an adoption application for my newest cat, I agreed to them potentially coming to check up on her to see how she's doing, I agreed that if I didn't want her or if she didn't work out that she would be brought back there and not rehomed or put in a shelter. I had to give some information like how many animals are in the household, any children, and background things like that. I got her for 75$ :)
This actually was just an issue with my neighborhood and local pet groups were warning against a woman who was doing that! It's terrifying to think that people do this!