For people with indoor/outdoor cats, how often do you flea & worm your kitties?

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Title says it all. I have 3 indoor/outdoor cats and my vet suggested I apply either Advocate/Revolution once a month and Profender every 3 months for tapeworm. I know that by them going outside, it increases the chances of fleas/parasites in comparison to indoor cats. It's also Summer right now in Melbourne.

I've read answers recently from a different forum who've said they prefer the less is more tactic to prevent 'over poisoning' their kitties.

I've never seen any fleas on any of my cats but I have been flea & worming them every month.

Is this overkill? Would love to hear advice from indoor/outdoor cat owners and their regimen when it comes to flea & worming.

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in Belgium
I have an indoor/outdoor cat (more indoors than outdoors).
I apply Frontline (Comboline Cat) against fleas, ticks and lice every month and I use Profender (Bayer) (spot-on solution) for deworming every six months (on vet's advice)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Profender every 6 months too. I have never used flea killer unless I actually see fleas. I have only had to use it once in ten years around here and we are in a wooded area. Ticks are easily spotted and pulled off. Now that my cats are strictly indoors, I will not use anything at all.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My parents have a cat who goes outside and he gets dewormed once a year. No flea medication though, he’s never had fleas and they’re not super common here. Honestly though he’s barely an outdoor cat, he literally just goes out onto the deck in the backyard and lays there every morning for an hour and then comes inside. It’s part of his morning routine lol

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every 6 months. I just stop by the vet and get a de-wormer pill...and bandages for pill administration. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Seems I may be unnecessarily over applying these chemicals on my girls. I think I'll do one application every 3 months instead. Thanks all.

opithecat

Cat Dad
Young Cat
Purraise
what if i dont allow my cat to even step foot outside? when should i be using flea treatment and deworming? he got all his shots amd treatments for the first 2 years and im at the 5 month mark of him just turning two

opithecat

Cat Dad
Young Cat
Purraise
what if i dont allow my cat to even step foot outside? when should i be using flea treatment and deworming? he got all his shots amd treatments for the first 2 years and im at the 5 month mark of him just turning two
should i keep doing every 6 months of deworming ? or should this change