For Anyone Struggling With Introductions... It Can Get Better!

mandmcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a previous post on here asking for help with our two cats M1 and M2 (Mango and Melon). We got M1 first as a 6 month old kitty and after half a year we brought in M2 who is about 3 years old.

Integration was rough to start. But things have improved steadily and slowllyyyy. Just as everyone says, be patient! It may seem like forever but wow it’s worth it. We are at 4.5 months now and it’s been drastic.

M1 and M2 will play together by chasing each other back and forth/up and down our stairs. They seem a little unsure of each other still with boundaries but we’ve witnessed several great play sessions. They sometimes lay near each other but not together (yet!). M2 can also walk around without fear of being chased/hunted all the time. M1 still focuses a lot on M2 and she still swipes at M2 sometimes when she’s walking by. But M2 has learned to stand her ground more.

Here’s some kitty payment (apologies if they come out sideways, on mobile). Melon/M2 is the one with more white in her face:

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, this gives me great hope. Getting ready to restart my intros; I dream of the day they are friends! So happy for you that it finally happened. Please continue to update us! Your kitties are beautiful. :happycat:

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congrats, and thanks for the update. It's nice to have a positive experience for folks to find when they are searching for help with introductions.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, I'm currently in an introduction with my cat and 2 kittens. How long had the kitties been given access to each other before this point and how has their behavior progressed? My Isabelle has still been growling at the kittens if they try to approach her, but it has been less than a week still on letting them fully have access to each other 24 hours/day. Thanks for any details!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mandmcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great photos! It’s such a great feeling when they gradually become friends.
Yes we are beyond happy it's gotten to this point! It can seem pretty bleak when people first start out with introductions, especially I feel like if neither of the cats are little kittens.

mandmcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I'm currently in an introduction with my cat and 2 kittens. How long had the kitties been given access to each other before this point and how has their behavior progressed? My Isabelle has still been growling at the kittens if they try to approach her, but it has been less than a week still on letting them fully have access to each other 24 hours/day. Thanks for any details!
So those photos are now at the 4.5 month mark. We kept the new cat completely secluded in her room for the first week. After that we spent another 2 weeks site swapping with supervised time together. Then they pretty much had 24/7 access to each other. Our resident cat was a bullying a bit too much so we closed her in our bedroom at night for a month so our new cat could explore and get comfortable. During the next few months, our new cat got slowly more comfortable with our home and found different places to camp out and hide every few weeks until she is now pretty comfortable roaming around. I imagine it's a little different with kittens!

mandmcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, this gives me great hope. Getting ready to restart my intros; I dream of the day they are friends! So happy for you that it finally happened. Please continue to update us! Your kitties are beautiful. :happycat:
Good luck with you reintroductions!!