For All Who Have Rescued Cats

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This poem appeared on my FB page a couple of years ago. I didn't write it but I think it is such a poignant and true poem. Many of us have gone down this path and will do so over and over again.

To Love Again

Oh what unhappy twist of fate
Has brought you homeless to my gate,
The gate where once another stood
To beg for shelter warmth and food?

For from that day I ceased to be
The master of my destiny,
While she, with purr and velvet paw
Became within my house the law.

She scratched the furniture and shed
And claimed the middle of my bed,
She ruled in arrogance and pride
And broke my heart the day she died.

So if you really think, oh cat
I'd willingly relive all that,
Because you come forlorn and thin
Well don't just stand there - come on in!

Author unknown

DorasCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This poem appeared on my FB page a couple of years ago. I didn't write it but I think it is such a poignant and true poem. Many of us have gone down this path and will do so over and over again.

To Love Again

Author unknown
Beautiful poem. Very meaningful and moving.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

To Love Again

Author unknown
Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I needed that....thank you. We lost several the past two years and it's ben hard. And we're down to one rescue'd cruelty case that became a foster fail, one completely indoor "let's leave the feral life behind" wonder kitty, and 3 TNR's that we try SO hard every day to make fully indoor - but they at least stay very close when not inside. But all are getting older (all technically seniors now :frown:, and we worry extra for the the ones that won't fully commit to indoors). And we were just discussing bringing in a "permanent foster" that's blind and older. So I needed that post.Teary - - but reminded me again why we do this to ourselves over and over. Thank you.:redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I needed that....thank you. We lost several the past two years and it's ben hard. And we're down to one rescue'd cruelty case that became a foster fail, one completely indoor "let's leave the feral life behind" wonder kitty, and 3 TNR's that we try SO hard every day to make fully indoor - but they at least stay very close when not inside. But all are getting older (all technically seniors now :frown:, and we worry extra for the the ones that won't fully commit to indoors). And we were just discussing bringing in a "permanent foster" that's blind and older. So I needed that post.Teary - - but reminded me again why we do this to ourselves over and over. Thank you.:redheartpump:
Ah yes. Do foster the blind cat. They use their other senses very well. I know of a blind cat, he has no eyes that is the first one to catch a mouse or insect (he lives in a house with a secure garden) leaving his sighted companions wondering where the mouse went. He is also harness and leash trained and goes everywhere with his owners. Two of mine went blind with age. Lucy still managed to jump up high and ambush me when I walked through the door. She was an emergency foster I got for one night only. That one night lasted 15 years. It was love at first sight for both of us. She was also crippled because of cruelty. Nothing stopped her. She was 23 when she went to the Rainbow Bridge. She passed in 2010 and I still miss her. She really was an amazing cat. Our other cat was my son's beloved cat. He also went blind with age but could still jump onto my son's lap and never miss. He passed away at the grand age of 22 earlier this year in his favourite spot - curled up with my son on his bed. He just went to sleep and never woke up. Chico walked into our house as a small kitten, made my son his human and never left his side.