Foods like Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers/Creamy Delights

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sango only seems to like the chicken and turkey flavors of the Fancy Feast Gravy and the cuts of chicken version of Creamy Delights. Are there any foods similar to this? She used to like Weruva stews, but I think in the last batches I bought they were super watery and she wouldn’t touch them. It’s been an uphill battle to get her to eat wet food so I’m glad she likes something, but it would be nice if she could like another brand in case of shortages or if a recipe is change or discontinued. Ideally, I would love lower carbs for her, but any type of moisture is good for her within reason - I won’t buy anything with carrageenan.

I tried Sheba thinking it would be similar enough, but she left all the meat behind. I guess the meat consistency was too ground and she like’s something a little chunkier cut?

I‘ve been thinking of trying Tiny Tiger with Extra Gravy from Chewy. Are there others I should consider? She dislikes pates so it has to be meat chunks/minced. The more gravy, the better with her. Also, she’s not a huge fan of veggies, at least when I tried FF Medleys. She actually got sick from those.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiny Tiger Extra Gravy is a bit high in carbs compared to other options (and has some vaguely named protein sources, iirc), but overall a pretty good choice when it comes to options in gravy. It also has guar gum, which can be irritating to some cats, but so do most foods in gravy, to my knowledge, including the ones I’m suggesting.
A few others to cosider, depending on your budget, would be Scrumptious from Scratch (SCRUMPTIOUS FROM SCRATCH Chicken Dinner In Gravy Canned Cat Food, 2.8-oz, case of 12 - Chewy.com out of stock on chewy, though I believe you can get it on Amazon) and Snappy Tom (SNAPPY TOM Ultimates Tender Chicken in Broth Canned Cat Food, 3-oz tray, case of 12 - Chewy.com). Another brand to consider is Tiki cat — while they don’t have many traditional gravy recipes, they do have a lot of meats in broth recipes. Their After Dark Chicken is particularly good, but they have options in cheaper lines TIKI CAT After Dark Chicken Canned Cat Food, 2.8-oz, case of 12 - Chewy.com

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to try something like Wellness smooth loaf which has a consistency of thick paste. You could then thin it with broth or water a little so she could lap it up.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try looking through these pictures of canned food: Canned Cat food Spreadsheets The photos are a little old and pet food companies are always changing textures / discontinuing varieties so look online for newer pictures. Google Images is a good place to search.

Have you tried Tiki Cat? Or the Weruva's Classics or Cats In The Kitchen line? Weruva also makes the Soulistic brand.

You can use the chart here to find carrageenan-free foods Check This Out.... Chart For Cat Food Ingredients Double check the search results with a current list of ingredients as the chart isn't up to date.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 , thanks, I’ll have to try the spreadsheet. I‘m always trying to look up pictures on Chewy of the actual food so this is extremely helpful! She seems extremely particular about texture.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wellness minced is little tidbits similar to Fancy Feast. So are their gravies. The big can is morsels, the other 2 are minced. Morsels are a little larger than minced.

View attachment 380723
View attachment 380724
View attachment 380726
Thank you for posting pictures of the textures. It would be great if others could post pictures of their cat’s food they like and will eat. My 12 cats are fussy eaters as I’m sure a lot are. But when I’m shopping around for a halfway decent can food it’s hard to tell what the texture looks like Until you buy it. I’ve been buying Friskies filet cans and lately they look more like shreds and some of the meat when I break it up is very tough.
I want to get away from Friskies all together..I’m very disappointed with their chicken and Turkey…shreds are terrible, its not even broken up, I have to cut it.
I plan on writing to them and complain, if that will make any difference.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wellness shreds are a bit different. I can post a pic tonight. It's less of a shred and more of a slivered up loaf. Delilah won't eat food that looks like real shredded meat. She also very rarely eats a pate.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wellness shreds are a bit different. I can post a pic tonight. It's less of a shred and more of a slivered up loaf. Delilah won't eat food that looks like real shredded meat. She also very rarely eats a pate.
thank you. My cats won’t eat the real shredded meat either. They don’t like the pate either…can’t win….

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here is the chicken and turkey shreds (it's mixed turkey and chicken). These are the regular wellness not the core. The core has some real shreds but not a lot. Delilah eats both.

20210517_175458.jpg

20210517_175540.jpg

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use the Core shreds and they look thinner than the ones pictured here. Both my two eat the Wellness Core chunks and shreds. There is one option which is a mix tin of chunks and shreds.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use the Core shreds and they look thinner than the ones pictured here. Both my two eat the Wellness Core chunks and shreds. There is one option which is a mix tin of chunks and shreds.
The Wellness Core shreds seem to have a bit of a mix with some real meat shreds but mostly the formulated shreds. The ones I pictured are the Wellness Healthy Indulgence from the pouches.

In the end, it's seeing what the cat will or won't eat. Delilah seems to find the Wellness to her liking. I have Fancy Feast as an emergency backup.

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Wellness minced does have similar meat texture to Fancy Feast but not the extra gravy that Sango likes. I've tried adding water to even the regular Fancy Feast to make it more gravy like but she never finishes it.

I saw that Petco's Wholehearted has an extra gravy variety in pouches. Their "morsels" look more like Fancy Feast minced. I really hate the minced term on cat food - it can mean ground, chunky, morsels or shreds. So frustrating!

All this stuff is very carby, but I can't win with the gravy queen LOL

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
The Wellness minced does have similar meat texture to Fancy Feast but not the extra gravy that Sango likes. I've tried adding water to even the regular Fancy Feast to make it more gravy like but she never finishes it.

I saw that Petco's Wholehearted has an extra gravy variety in pouches. Their "morsels" look more like Fancy Feast minced. I really hate the minced term on cat food - it can mean ground, chunky, morsels or shreds. So frustrating!

Out of curiosity, have you tried adding extra broth or a very liquidy cat food mousse into a healthier shredded cat food that might not have enough gravy for her preference? You may be able to engineer something to the texture she likes. Tiki cat has a lot of options for all three, and their website has photos of what they all look like, including extremely runny mousse for picky cats. Tiki Cat Food & Treats - Tiki Pets - Say Aloha to Real Food

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maurey Maurey , I tried the American Landmark broths about a year ago, but she seemed very confused by it. She drinks the broths but left all the meat. She doesn't seem to recognize meat that is shredded as food. I've given her plain shredded chicken before and she doesn't touch it. That's why I'm hesitant to try Tiki cat. It looks like good stuff to me, so she'll probably reject it LOL

There was a period of about 6 months where she wouldn't touch any wet food at all but then I tried the Friskies Lil Soups on her back in January and she would eat all except some pieces of meat. Now she won't touch them.

She was a hoarding rescue and I suspect was raised on dry only the first 3 years of her life. I can't believe she's even eating some varieties of Fancy Feast now.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Maurey Maurey , I tried the American Landmark broths about a year ago, but she seemed very confused by it. She drinks the broths but left all the meat. She doesn't seem to recognize meat that is shredded as food. I've given her plain shredded chicken before and she doesn't touch it. That's why I'm hesitant to try Tiki cat. It looks like good stuff to me, so she'll probably reject it LOL

There was a period of about 6 months where she wouldn't touch any wet food at all but then I tried the Friskies Lil Soups on her back in January and she would eat all except some pieces of meat. Now she won't touch them.

She was a hoarding rescue and I suspect was raised on dry only the first 3 years of her life. I can't believe she's even eating some varieties of Fancy Feast now.
Have you tried mousse with her at all, since she seems reluctant about shreds? These are both nutritionally complete lines :> Tiki Cat Special Mousse for Special Needs - Tiki Pets (their special line even has a food intended for fussy cats ahah FUSSY with Duck Liver & Egg in Broth - Tiki Pets)
Tiki Cat Velvet Mousse - Cat Food with a Silky Smooth Texture - Tiki Pets
They're already quite liquidy, but you could try adding some extra broth in to make it even more soupy. If she completely ignores chunks, you could make some plain broth yourself by boiling a chicken breast (plain chicken meat can be nice if seasoned post-boiling in a salad) to add in there, so you dont have to throw out bits of commercial broth.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If the Wellness seems too gloopy I'll add a tablespoon of water and stir up the dish. Delilah seems happy. If I go past 1tbsp and it's too thin she won't eat it.

Delilah wouldn't touch Tiki Cat or the Weruvas that looked more like meat.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I tried the Wholehearted twice and Delilah wouldn't touch it.

Occasionally Delilah will eat the Weruva "hydrating purees" (mousse like) but after a few times she's over it.

I'll try to take a pic of one of the Wellness Gravies tonight. I keep a variety for Ms. Fussy Pants.

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried the Weruva hydrating purées on Sango when I got a bunch of samples from the company. She took a few bites and walked away. I doubt she’d ever touch the Tiki cat stuff.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I thought Delilah liked Weruva after a week. After 2 forget about it. Tiki Cat was a no go from the get go. So was Merrick. I tried a bunch in our last round post Crave. Wellness seemed to be the winner (knock on wood, pray, cover Delilah's ears so she doesn't decide to change her mind).