Food with L lysine

lustra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is about a year and half old now. When I rescued her she was about 4 weeks old and had a severe URI. Only complications that she has now is that she cant see out of her right eye and the slightest thing will set her off with sneezing and blowing snot.

I work at an animal hospital so I have picked the brains of all of our vets on this one and they cant come up with anything. Kiki does not like the Enisyl-F paste since it looks like a syringe and she hates the taste. I bought L lysine pills, but she doesnt like canned food. So I am wondering if you guys know of any foods that contain L lysine.

Any info or tips will be appreciated!

Heres a link for the Enisyl-F paste: http://www.allivet.com/Enisyl-F-p/26842.htm

And heres Kiki!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many of the super premium dry s have a small amount ( ie not likely to help)... what types of canned have you tried

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Someone on this site successfully gave L-Lysine in their water bowls. They measured roughly how much the cat drank each day to the volume of the bowl and poured in the powdered form in the right daily dosage. I buy powdered form from iherb.com (NOW brand). 1/4 tsp is roughly 460mg. A daily maintenance dose is about 500mg so my boy gets a slightly heaping teaspoon daily. The 1 pound jar lasts me about a year and with shipping is under $15.

The changed the formula of the gel about a year ago and my herpes boy stopped eating it then. It was a shame as he used to beg for it prior to them changing the formula.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lustra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have tried Friskies canned, Iams canned, and any junkie canned food that cats cant seem to get enough of. She just licks the juices and off she goes.

I would put the L lysine in her water, but she shares her water with my dog and ferret.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
L lysine is a amino acid so I DOUBT( check with a vet ) IT would do any harm to the others ...

Try something like solid gold or innova both are high quality yet very tasty

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just the other day, someone posted on a thread here that one of the Royal Canin foods had Lysine in it. I'll try to find the post. In the meantime, try what I do. I boil a chicken tender in about 1/2" of water. Then I shred it up and add some of the liquid to make it the consistency of chicken salad. Then, I give my cat just a bit of the meat and a teaspoon full of the liquid. I mix up the lysine in the meat/broth mixture and my picky cat laps it up. If she doesn't eat the meat, that's okay because the meds are in the liquid. Sometimes, I heat it up in the microwave for about 10 seconds to enhance the aroma.

Stephanie

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of the Royal Canin foods do have L Lysine in it - unfortunately I can't recall which ones they are
I'll check it out for you if you want

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lustra

I have tried Friskies canned, Iams canned, and any junkie canned food that cats cant seem to get enough of. She just licks the juices and off she goes.

I would put the L lysine in her water, but she shares her water with my dog and ferret.
If you can get the lysine mixed into the juices instead of mashed into the food, that would do it. When Stan has been picky with food, I will put his lysine in just the juice from a pouch of wiskas or tuna water(I know it's not health food, but he needs the lysine and he loves that juice
).

I also just wanted to second that I don't think the lysine will hurt your other pets, but since you have access to vets you might want to run it by them. Some members here have had luck putting it in the water.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Royal Canin Special 33 has L-lysine in it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Problem with using just a food with it is read the label... it may say 400mg/kg ... that equals roughly 40 per cup.. as most foods are designed to maintain HEALTHY cats

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just open the capsule and pour the powder into Autumn's mouth
she glares at me for a few minutes but gets over it. She wont eat her wet if she thinks the evil powder is in it, I tried the water mix, but even stirring well it seemed to be left as residue in the bowl when the water was gone and I am not sure how much of it she is getting

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just thought that I'd post and tell you guys that I got a couple of wellness dry food samples this week and the kitten food (kitten "growth" I believe) has lysine in it... 2% I believe, which isn't much, but is better than nothing.

I put lysine in their canned cat food (crushing tablets, but soon I'll also order the jar of powder and use that in their food instead. Mine didn't take to it in water very well.
Art

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Primal freeze dried turkey has lysine. My little herpes guy has been getting lysine now for almost three years, I use pure lysine powder (Carlson's, available at Vitamin Shoppe, $9.). I tasted it, it's only slightly salty. Since I feed both cats several times a day, I split up the dose, 500 mg during a flare up, 250 mg for maintenance. Since he has been eating more commercial raw though, I don't need to give it to him daily. It's fine for healthy cats, his sister who is not fhv used to get lysine mixed in with her food as well.

tuckerboo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I went to the health food store and purchased the L-Lysine capsules, you can open them and sprinkle on the dry food also, it works, just mix it in well. Also, the capsules are very reasonably priced and the dosage is fine.  I hope this helps.

spiritflower

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i am checking our Royal Canin cat food to see if it contains lysine

MiracleMax’sCatTree

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
image.jpg

maybe this is a dead thread, but hopefully it will help someone like me who stumbled on it. We use these treats for our cats (both have herpes, our kitten has it was worse though). You can give them up to 12 a day, so we use them as rewards and/or sprinkle them among dry food. Older cat LOVES them, but the kitten is too stressed currently to try anything new and needs a boost, hence why I’m on a mostly dead thread looking for advice lol