food that wont make their stools soft and smelly

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i had the biggest problem with innova evo making my cats stools so soft and smelly

now i have them on blue wilderness and the samething is happening!

if they are on iams or frisky their stools are hard and not smelly

anyone know a good high quality pet smart food that doesnt produce soft smelly stools?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, it's going to vary. What works great for one person's cats may not work for yours. That said, some people have problems with the foods you've tried being too rich for their cats and can get away with mixing it in with another food. Others have cats that do great on Cat Chow, Iams, Purina One, etc - grocery store foods in other words.

I haven't tried too many different dry foods since my Tomas has issues with foods (very watery diarrhea - not the sort of thing you want to trigger in a cat) and Sho has problems with corn - but I have tried Authority with my kittens and that worked well for them. It's a decent food, no by-products, but it does have corn in it.

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You may have to try a food with grains. This is why I had to switch Tessie from a grain free to some grain. She was also having problems with her stool. Vet said the no grain was to rich for her tummy so now I feed her Blue Buff Finiky Feast (http://www.bluebuff.com/products/cat...n-turkey.shtml). I want to stay away from corn. Been working well and keeping my fingers crossed.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting. I've been feeding Larry Iams dry and Friskies wet ever since I got him. It would vary - sometimes he'd have soft, smelly stools, sometimes not. I've gradually switched over to Eukanuba dry and his stools have gotten very firm, and not very smelly. And I noticed there seems to be less grain in the Eukanuba.

It's tough to find the right mix.

nutrolori

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Nutro Natural Choice Indoor formula with Chester. He has been eating Nutro cat foods since he was 9 months old. His stool is firm, still has a smell to it of course but not as bad as it was when I got him at 9 months. He is 11 years old now and has always done well on it. He does eat the weight management because he is a bit lazy. Well, he is A LOT lazy!

Just make sure when you change diets to any new food to mix it for about a week so not to get an upset tummy and even softer stools. Nobody wants that!

I hope you find what works for you kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks one of my cats has really sensative skin also so iw as hoping for a food that would improve her coat and skin health as well

now i am thinking natural choice weight mng is that at pet smart?

Also science diet?

nutrolori

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chausiefan

thanks one of my cats has really sensative skin also so iw as hoping for a food that would improve her coat and skin health as well

now i am thinking natural choice weight mng is that at pet smart?

Also science diet?
Yes they have Natural Choice Weight Management at Petsmart. I usually get the Indoor formula because lazy Chester is inside all the time. It is great for cats with sensitive skin and is guaranteed to improve skin & coat. Like I said before be sure to mix with your old food so you get an upset tummy. I have a mixing ratio below. Good luck!

Days 1-2 25% New Food & 75% Old Food
Days 3-4 50% New Food & 50% Old Food
Days 5-6 75% New Food & 25% Old Food
Day 7 100% New Food

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had problems using Nutro. My cat also had sensitive skin and she had so much dandruff while she was on that food. I believe it was caused by the corn. Ever since I switched her to Blue Buff, beautiful coat and no more flaky skin. You can also get it at Petsmart.

Also remember the indoor and weight management have a lot more fillers which equals less meat and more cabs. This will not help your cat loose weight.

Also if you are concerned that he is to heavy, give your cat only a measured amount of food a day. Normally cats should only consume 200-250 calories a day.

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well they are on blue wildnerness right now they have nice coats skin is getting better but the poo is just so smelly and soggy and even sticks to their feet sometimes

Its the same company

do u think blue buff since it has grain might be better for their stools then blue wilderness but at the sametime just as healthy?

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yes because Tessie was on the Wilderness chicken and had to switch her to the BF Finiky Feast. Doing much better now and her coat and skin look awesome!

Doesn't hurt to try

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chausiefan

well they are on blue wildnerness right now they have nice coats skin is getting better but the poo is just so smelly and soggy and even sticks to their feet sometimes

Its the same company

do u think blue buff since it has grain might be better for their stools then blue wilderness but at the sametime just as healthy?
Same company and the same high standards but Wilderness is very rich compared to the formulas with grains. I think your cat would do well on BLUE Longevity. It's really good for sensitive tummies, weight control and skin.

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
these are all female cats around 2 years of age

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
By a vet are they overweight>? and if so what are current vs ideal weights?