Food switch now diarrhea

haze n blaze

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wasn't sure if I should start this thread here or under nutrition. Please feel free to move if necessary.

My 10 month old kitten, Haze has had a series of unfortunate sicckies lately (all posted in another thread). He recently was switched over to Royal Canin hydrolized due to a few vomiting episodes. He's has done well for the last week but has had diarrhea. How long should that last before I should be concerned? He has a follow up this Saturday with the vet. Previously he was on 3/4 wet and a 1/4 dry but it's all wet now. Is his body just adjusting to no more dry? maybe still a tummy issue going on?

What is your experience with switching from dry to wet?

As a side note, I will soon be switching him to a better wet food than royal Canin. Just hate the ingredients and the expense. But am hesitant with switching during all these issues but wonder if this brand could be the cause of the diArrhea. He didn't have it while he was having his vomiting issues.

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Its often the case that a sensitive cat will get loose stool during a food change thats why they say to do it gradually.  I wouldnt be too worried at this point.  If it is just a transient case it usually clears up in about 3-7 days.   Unless there is something in the new food he is sensitive to like carageenan.   Anyway I would definitely suggest using a probiotic which often helps speed recovery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haze n blaze

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've switched him to a grain free, no carrageenan canned food-natural choice. When you say probiotic, what do you give an animal. I've seen it discussed before but never fully understood

reikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello again :)

Usually I tell people 72 hours for upset due to sudden diet change, anything beyond that there is something else wrong.  Think about like us, if we go to another country our guts hate us for a couple of days if we eat the local cuisine, but they finally forgive us. It's kind of like the same thing for cats.

As for probotics it helps reestablish good bacteria in the kitties tummy and helps them get over the tummy troubles quicker.

I recommend Fruitables ( http://www.entirelypets.com/fruitables-pumpkin-digestive-supplement-dogs-cats-food-15-oz.html) as it also has pumpkin to help firm up the stools and I've yet to have a kitty turn it down.

As for Probotic pastes there are several and any specialty store or your vet should have some in stock. Here's a couple examples -   and  

Eventually you'll get poor Haze figured out. :)

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've switched him to a grain free, no carrageenan canned food-natural choice. 
When I switched my cat from a grain filled diet, to grain free, it took a very long time for her to adjust!! I'm talking months! We had to very slowing mix her foods, new and old, grains and without grains, until finally she was able to handle the grain free. Take your time with it, and be careful not to rush the switch.

Good luck :)

haze n blaze

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I switched my cat from a grain filled diet, to grain free, it took a very long time for her to adjust!! I'm talking months! We had to very slowing mix her foods, new and old, grains and without grains, until finally she was able to handle the grain free. Take your time with it, and be careful not to rush the switch.

Good luck :)
Oh geez.... I switched him over within about 5 days. :( I had read that everyday you replace a little more of the old food with the new until you are completely switched over. I figured since he was gobbling it up that he was doing ok.

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh geez.... I switched him over within about 5 days.
I had read that everyday you replace a little more of the old food with the new until you are completely switched over. I figured since he was gobbling it up that he was doing ok.
You may have to go back to the old food for a bit to put his stomach "back to normal" before doing another switch. When you switch next time, slowly transition, mixing the foods :)

haze n blaze

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm hesitant to switch back because we(the vet and I) are trying to figure out why he has been vomiting. Three different visits to the vet and a whole gamete of testing yielded nothing. Was it gastritis, food allergies, lysine allergy, etc?

It never ends. :(

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww poor guy! Sorry to hear you and he are going through a lot. What about giving him a bit of pumpkin, with some boiled chicken? Something basic, limited ingredient.

haze n blaze

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got a probiotic from the vet today. Fingers crossed that it helps. This poor little guy has just been through so much but still remains a lover.

haze n blaze

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today is the 3rd day of probiotics with no improvement to the diarrhea. Vet appt is tomorrow. Would the probiotic have worked by now if it was going to?

I'm just wondering if I made a wrong choice in canned food. Or may I'm just impatient with the transfer but it's been over a week now. I just feel so bad for him. Does grain free cause diarrhea because their is nothing holding it together? That may sound likes stupid question but thought I would ask here and shield behind my cloak of Internet invisibility rather than ask face to face at the vet

Another responder mentioned the xantham gum as the culprit but it seems to be in a lot of foods.

Last edited:

casozlou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When we were giving our boys Blue Wilderness, grain free, two of them ended up with the worst diarrhea even after a slow introduction.  Once we started giving them Blue Harmony with some grain...no problems at all.

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Today is the 3rd day of probiotics with no improvement to the diarrhea. Vet appt is tomorrow. Would the probiotic have worked by now if it was going to?

I'm just wondering if I made a wrong choice in canned food. Or may I'm just impatient with the transfer but it's been over a week now. I just feel so bad for him. Does grain free cause diarrhea because their is nothing holding it together? That may sound likes stupid question but thought I would ask here and shield behind my cloak of Internet invisibility rather than ask face to face at the vet

Another responder mentioned the xantham gum as the culprit but it seems to be in a lot of foods.
OK, a few things...    here is web page that will give you a good framework to understand the issues  http://viim.org/dog-cat-diarrhea-chronic.php

The probiotic s. boulardis has been useful in resolving stubborn cases  (it is mentioned at the bottom of that link)

Grain-free would have nothing to do with it in my opinion.  Cats eat meat in nature - not grains or vegetables.

xanthan gum is a newer food binder and so is in very few canned foods as yet.   What food did you use?   Look at the ingredients for it.   BTW, I switched my cats to a food with xanthan gum and have not had a problem so it is only a problem if your cat cannot tolerate it.

haze n blaze

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK, a few things...    here is web page that will give you a good framework to understand the issues  http://viim.org/dog-cat-diarrhea-chronic.php

The probiotic s. boulardis has been useful in resolving stubborn cases  (it is mentioned at the bottom of that link)

Grain-free would have nothing to do with it in my opinion.  Cats eat meat in nature - not grains or vegetables.

xanthan gum is a newer food binder and so is in very few canned foods as yet.   What food did you use?   Look at the ingredients for it.   BTW, I switched my cats to a food with xanthan gum and have not had a problem so it is only a problem if your cat cannot tolerate it.
He was switched to nutro natural choice chicken soft loaf canned only from science diet canned/dry combo after a few bouts/trips to vet thinking he had an allergy. .

haze n blaze

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When we were giving our boys Blue Wilderness, grain free, two of them ended up with the worst diarrhea even after a slow introduction.  Once we started giving them Blue Harmony with some grain...no problems at all.
Thank you. Cas. I was wondering if maybe the complete grain free/ more protein could be too much for his bowels

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I checked the ingredients on the nutro.  The canned looks VERY good.   Not even any carrageenan.   The dry ingredients leave alot to be desired.  

Cats can develop allergies to the protein source.   Maybe try a different meat other than chicken.

The other possibility is that he picked up a stomach bug around the same time you switched foods.   Perhaps the vet should check a stool sample for parasites.

haze n blaze

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been reading that guar gum and xanthan gum is bad. Looks like nutro has that in the ingredients. But in my research almost all have at least, grains, starch, fillers, carrageenan, guar gum, xanthan gum. I'm REALLY trying to not do raw. I can barely touch meat to cook for myself.

Last edited: