Food Switch (attempt)

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We brought home our girl, Vega, a month ago. She was neutered before the adoption. At that time, she was fed Royal Canin appetite control spayed/neutered dry food, which has been switched to Orijen dry food. She is 11 month old and 3.7kg/8lbs. She is super energetic and doesn't eat as much as the feeding guide recommended. We free feed her and her body weight has not changed since adoption.

The reason we chose Orijen was their ingredients: 85% from animal, no bad or questionable stuff. Only problem: H2O! Vega does drink AND pee a lot. We are still considering to switch to wet/home made food, after reading through Dr. Lisa A. Pierson's website (catinfo.org/). I checked all kinds of wet food, including those beyond my budget, and couldn't find anything to match Orijen's ingredient standard. Things bothering me are:
Guar gum: not nutrient
By-products: not indicated what organ from what animal
Chicken/poultry "meal": I don't know what that mean...neither "broth"
Additives/chemicals...

As "any wet food is better than any dry food", we decided to add wet food to her diet anyway. And, I came cross this Friskies Poultry Platter, in a dollar store! It is the only made in USA one. All other flavors are "imported" and no country of origin is indicated. It also has the muscle meat, turkey, as the first ingredient. Bad things are there, e.g. rice and carragreenan, but I think the ingredient list is comparable with some of the semi-high end products, and, the price is only 1/3 or less. I gave Vega 1/4 can last night. She didn't touch it right the way but it was gone this morning. So far, her meal plan will be half wet/half dry.

And, yes, I am searching a suitable grinder.

Attachments

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Friskies for my cats and they have never gotten sick from it. I think Purina has their own manufacturing plant in the US.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A lot of canned food is 95% meat, even if they don't specifically say so. You can find out more here: Reading Labels

A resource I've found helpful is: Today’s best cat foods–reviews of canned and raw options

Ones that comes to mind immediately that doesn't have the stuff you highlighted are ZiwiPeak and Feline Natural.

But if my cat wasn't intolerant of chicken I'd scoop up those 13oz Friskies cans!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Friskies for my cats and they have never gotten sick from it. I think Purina has their own manufacturing plant in the US.
It's good to know! Thanks :)
I'd stick USA made Friskies until I figure how to do home made ;)

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A lot of canned food is 95% meat, even if they don't specifically say so. You can find out more here: Reading Labels

A resource I've found helpful is: Today’s best cat foods–reviews of canned and raw options

Ones that comes to mind immediately that doesn't have the stuff you highlighted are ZiwiPeak and Feline Natural.

But if my cat wasn't intolerant of chicken I'd scoop up those 13oz Friskies cans!
Thanks for the information!
I saw Nature’s Variety Instinct which would be a great choice but the it would multiple the budget...

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I think the easiest homemade is using the EZcomplete supplement with boneless meat that can be cooked or raw. (I cook it...) EZcomplete isn't the cheapest option for homemade supplements but if time is money, it definitely fits my budget, particularly since the cats love the food (as long as it's not made with just turkey thighs!), our vet loves the ingredient list, and I love that I don't have to fuss about sourcing nutrients. :)

I used Dr. Pierson's recipe once and the cats absolutely loved the food but I can't say that I much liked measuring out and mixing up all the nutrients--it's not that complicated but even so, the ready supplement is much easier. (And I feel confident that I'm getting things right.) If you have a food processor, one thing you might want to do is to make a test batch of Dr. Pierson's recipe with bone meal and a food processor. Bone meal isn't optimal for the long-term but at least you can see if Vega likes the food. The worst case scenario there is that you have some leftover bone meal (which, as I recall, is relatively cheap) rather than a big grinder!

As for Friskies, yes, even with the carrageenan and rice, you could do a whole-whole lot worse than Friskies Poultry Platter and pay a whole lot more money for it! ;)

Most important: Vega looks like a very sweet cat!

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Personally, I think the easiest homemade is using the EZcomplete supplement with boneless meat that can be cooked or raw. (I cook it...) EZcomplete isn't the cheapest option for homemade supplements but if time is money, it definitely fits my budget, particularly since the cats love the food (as long as it's not made with just turkey thighs!), our vet loves the ingredient list, and I love that I don't have to fuss about sourcing nutrients. :)

I used Dr. Pierson's recipe once and the cats absolutely loved the food but I can't say that I much liked measuring out and mixing up all the nutrients--it's not that complicated but even so, the ready supplement is much easier. (And I feel confident that I'm getting things right.) If you have a food processor, one thing you might want to do is to make a test batch of Dr. Pierson's recipe with bone meal and a food processor. Bone meal isn't optimal for the long-term but at least you can see if Vega likes the food. The worst case scenario there is that you have some leftover bone meal (which, as I recall, is relatively cheap) rather than a big grinder!

As for Friskies, yes, even with the carrageenan and rice, you could do a whole-whole lot worse than Friskies Poultry Platter and pay a whole lot more money for it! ;)

Most important: Vega looks like a very sweet cat!
Wow! Just googled. EZ is EZ! I will definitely think about making Vega's meals with it :)
I was digging around town today and found a store which carries ground whole animal carcass. The brand is Carnivora (www.carnivora.ca). The cheapest is chicken at a price of 16 bucks / 4lbs. Rabbit is more costly but won't coast me an arm and a leg as I only have one little girl :p Adding some extra muscle meat would be an option as, according to Dr. Pierson, ground whole animal carcass contains more bone than needed.
For now, I'm putting her on a half dry/half wet diet and gradually increasing wet. Then from wet to home made raw. I'll take it slow to avoid sudden change.
A big thank from Vega! :)

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! Just googled. EZ is EZ! I will definitely think about making Vega's meals with it :)
I was digging around town today and found a store which carries ground whole animal carcass. The brand is Carnivora (www.carnivora.ca). The cheapest is chicken at a price of 16 bucks / 4lbs. Rabbit is more costly but won't coast me an arm and a leg as I only have one little girl :p Adding some extra muscle meat would be an option as, according to Dr. Pierson, ground whole animal carcass contains more bone than needed.
For now, I'm putting her on a half dry/half wet diet and gradually increasing wet. Then from wet to home made raw. I'll take it slow to avoid sudden change.
A big thank from Vega! :)
Yes, EZ truly is EZ. Particularly since it's for boneless meat, which means you don't have to figure out weights of the meat with and without bone. Best of all, it can be used for any kind of boneless meat(s).

It sounds like you have a good plan to switch Vega's food over time. Time is good: it really helps to see reactions and figure out how to deal with unexpected preferences and/or dislikes!

And Newfoundland, wow! I live in Maine and have to talk my husband into a trip there one of these years...

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, EZ truly is EZ. Particularly since it's for boneless meat, which means you don't have to figure out weights of the meat with and without bone. Best of all, it can be used for any kind of boneless meat(s).

It sounds like you have a good plan to switch Vega's food over time. Time is good: it really helps to see reactions and figure out how to deal with unexpected preferences and/or dislikes!

And Newfoundland, wow! I live in Maine and have to talk my husband into a trip there one of these years...
I give Vega dry food in the morning and wet food in the evening. She is doing well. Actually, there is something special about Vega : she is not enthusiastic about food but not picky at all. And, she treats treats and food equally (OK, you may have to read this sentence twice to know what I'm saying. .) . When she wants to eat what ever in the bow. When she doesn't, food and treats will be untouched.
Her poop looks normal.
Yes, Newfoundland. I know it sounds like a remote island in nowhere but you wouldn't regret your trip (weather permit of course :p )

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give Vega dry food in the morning and wet food in the evening. She is doing well. Actually, there is something special about Vega : she is not enthusiastic about food but not picky at all. And, she treats treats and food equally (OK, you may have to read this sentence twice to know what I'm saying. .) . When she wants to eat what ever in the bow. When she doesn't, food and treats will be untouched.
Her poop looks normal.
Yes, Newfoundland. I know it sounds like a remote island in nowhere but you wouldn't regret your trip (weather permit of course :p )
Oh, that's very good when a cat knows when to stop eating and isn't partial to treats! We have one who will eat everything in sight way too fast and another who's a bit of a hesitant eater, so I think you're very lucky.

And no, I don't think a trip to Newfoundland would be regretted at all! (And I love bad weather... it's been a misty/foggy/cold spring here but I'm not complaining...)

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How lucky you are to have a non-picky cat! One of our four isn't picky, but the other three have different hoops I need to jump through to get them to eat. Some days I wish dry wasn't so bad for them - they're all happy to eat dry food!