Food Suggestions And Places To Buy? (aussie Places Please)

Erinlinkcappy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to give my cats the best food possible but I’m so confused by what is healthy and good for them. Can anyone advise me on what I should be getting them?

I’d also love to buy the food in bulk but have no clue where to start if anyone in Australia can give me some tips I’d be grateful!!

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
As for what to feed, wet food is the healthiest to buy since cats don’t have a strong thirst drive and get their moisture from their food. Whatever type of food you get, the ideal food has high protein (that comes from meat, not plant protein), medium fat and low carbs. Catfooddb.com is a good resource to check for that.

The first five ingredients are most important, and you want to see meat as the top ingredient. Most people try to avoid fish flavors as the top ingredient for their main food if they can, as long as he cat agrees ;). I personally avoid corn, wheat, soy, grains, foods with too many vegetables and fruits, carrageenan, and menadione. I prefer foods with less gums if I can, although that is low priority for me.

Generally we all try to feed the best food we can that is within budget, and most importantly that the cat can eat. Dr Jean Hofve has a great book called “What Cats Should Eat” that describes a lot about how to read a food label, and what to feed for ideal nutrition. It’s available on Amazon as an e-book. Keep in mind she is an idealist, so she comes down very hard on ingredients and foods that many people are comfortable feeding. But I found it was a good starting guide for me to understand good feline nutrition.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Erin. Because Australia's closest neighbor is New Zealand, where Ziwipeak (one of the most natural cat food brands) is made, I would consider them as an option. They stopped adding carrageenan in all of their products years ago and use meats from grass-fed or wild-caught animals and meat is the first ingredient. But they're short on flavor options so picky eaters might not like them.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Erinlinkcappy Erinlinkcappy ... I'm in Brisbane and buy most of my food from Petbarn. They have a really large selection and you can buy online, although I don't as I have one close to me. I tend to buy whichever of their best foods are on special, especially Wellness. Mine are incredibly fussy eaters so I swap a lot. You can often buy a carton, which works out a little cheaper.

This site Natural Cat Food Online | Natural Pet Store Australia has very good food, and offers cartons. Unfortunately my cats just won't eat the food they offer, but I do believe it is very good.

If you ever feed dry food I recommend Vetalogica, particularly the kangaroo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erinlinkcappy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Erinlinkcappy Erinlinkcappy ... I'm in Brisbane and buy most of my food from Petbarn. They have a really large selection and you can buy online, although I don't as I have one close to me. I tend to buy whichever of their best foods are on special, especially Wellness. Mine are incredibly fussy eaters so I swap a lot. You can often buy a carton, which works out a little cheaper.

This site Natural Cat Food Online | Natural Pet Store Australia has very good food, and offers cartons. Unfortunately my cats just won't eat the food they offer, but I do believe it is very good.

If you ever feed dry food I recommend Vetalogica, particularly the kangaroo.
Thank you so much. I am in Warwick and frustratingly Petbarn has high shipping rates here but I can always do a monthly shop in Toowoomba!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erinlinkcappy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Erin. Because Australia's closest neighbor is New Zealand, where Ziwipeak (one of the most natural cat food brands) is made, I would consider them as an option. They stopped adding carrageenan in all of their products years ago and use meats from grass-fed or wild-caught animals and meat is the first ingredient. But they're short on flavor options so picky eaters might not like them.
I did come across Ziwipeak in my research and was wondering whether to try it. At least one of the major pet stores seems to stock it so I’ll keep it in mind.