Food strategy

Ragdolldadnyc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

After much experimentation, reading, stress etc I settled on a food strategy that I d like to run by my fellow cat lovers.

1. Verified cats are healthy, food station location is good, bowl style is good.
2. Buy 2 different brands of pâté variety pack that I know they eat. They are medium quality. They have refused many a top premium brand but I buy Sheba perfect portions and blue Buffalo for wet and for dry Merrick perfect bistro. I try to buy on sale.
3. Four meals wet food and dry left overnight.
4. Three oz can split between two cats each meal. This portion is max they will eat at a time.
5. I eliminate stress over waste by settling on the fact that 4 cans each day will go down. If they eat great if left overs it’s tossed. No matter what it’s 4 cans to me. No refregirating and re-heat.
6. food goes down and taken away 30 mins later same time daily.
7. I ll randomly add a topper. I m trying to disassociate cat behavior with topper. If they are in super fussy mode after 2 missed meals or partially consumed meals I ll use the topper to encourage them to eat. It’s key not to add topper as a result of them turning nose up at that meal. It appears as part of the meal after 2 are missed which occurs maybe once a month.
8. cat weight is monitored every two weeks and recorded. I also take pics and compare to the body pictures for healthy vs overweight. Currently they are 15 months old around 11lbs and good body condition.

i like this system because it takes away stress, gives cats variety and does not reward any particular behavior. My Cats need 250 calories each, they get offered around 200 calories in wet and 50 calories in dry.Healthy treats are given occasionally but I don’t count the calories as they are less than 15 calories a day plus the cats are pretty active.

thoughts?

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds great. The only thing I would say is if they are really picky, have you tried any food other than pate? I know pates are better than chunks, minces, etc. just because of the ingredients, but some cats really do prefer those textures. One of mine was strictly a pate eater for years and years, and now suddenly he doesn't want it anymore and is into "cuts". I do mix a little pate in with the cuts to make it easier for him to eat though, since he's a licker rather than a biter and the mixture seems to help him get more of the cuts into his mouth. Don't ask me why, it just does.

Your cats are gorgeous, BTW :loveeyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ragdolldadnyc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds great. The only thing I would say is if they are really picky, have you tried any food other than pate? I know pates are better than chunks, minces, etc. just because of the ingredients, but some cats really do prefer those textures. One of mine was strictly a pate eater for years and years, and now suddenly he doesn't want it anymore and is into "cuts". I do mix a little pate in with the cuts to make it easier for him to eat though, since he's a licker rather than a biter and the mixture seems to help him get more of the cuts into his mouth. Don't ask me why, it just does.

Your cats are gorgeous, BTW :loveeyes:
Hi,

thank you, I m lucky to have them. I tried all kinds of textures and found pate to be their preferred. Anything else and they focus on licking the gravy only. With the pâté they are getting chicken, turkey, salmon. I was going to loose my mind from the stress of not knowing what they ll do day to day. So decided to go with strategy and view the issue more holistically and not meal by meal.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Something to consider- raw chicken gizzards seem to do a good job keeping a cat’s teeth clean. I give Belle a combination of chicken liver, gizzards & hearts roughly once a day. She loves it and it seems to keep her teeth clean. (Belle also gets wet or raw cat food twice a day- three times if we’re out of the chicken innards, what my wife calls Gizzards & Lizards.)

Belle is 2 years old and her coat is thick & soft and her eyes are bright & clear.

EE4C0320-CCAB-4DB7-AE2F-D302D2CA2198.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ragdolldadnyc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your response. My attempt at feeding raw failed but did not try gizzards particularly. Your cat in picture is a sweet heart