Food Storage Question

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. We have recently purchased 2 different big bags of cat food. One for our kitten and one for our cat. Our kitten is 8 months and we are still giving him kitten food since they typically say to give it for the first year. We usually just keep the food stored in the bags they come in but these bags are very big and I am thinking the food may get stale. Does anyone have any recommendations in regards to food storage? I've heard that you don't want to mix two kinds of food into one container because they may have some sort of interaction but I don't know to much about that. Thanks for reading!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The not mixing two foods would be in cases like yours where they are for two different diet types (cat and kitten). It also can make it difficult to identify what food is the problem if your cats have problems with their food (bad food in general or tummy problems). But if you are willing to throw out all the food if there is a problem in those cases, you can mix foods. I usually mix two to three types of dry food in my cats mix so they don't get stuck on a specific food flavor or brand.

But to storage.... any air tight container is fine. You can do a Rubbermaid tube but ants can be an issue in non-air tight. I usually stick with the ones made specifically for food products because of that. You local bargin store might have some good options, I usually get mine at chewys because the pet specific type tend to be a little sturdier in my experience and larger. Food storage - Free shipping | Chewy

I actually have three sets of this one: IRIS Airtight Food Storage Container & Scoop Combo, Navy/Gray - Chewy.com

One set for my rabbits stuff and two for the cats. The large containers are in the garage with their larger items, the smaller in the house with enough for the day to day. I open the cat food and mix it in one large one with sealed bags in the other (prevent rats/mice from getting in them). I always keep a sealed bag on hand for emergencies. But you could also just put open bags in the bigger container. The small container is good for treats or canned food (or toys).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will definitely be looking into the products mentioned. I think I may combine the food and if there was ever any stomach problems I would be fine with throwing the food out and going from there. Thanks so much for your help!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Buy a dry goods bulk bin meant for commercial kitchens.

For something smaller that fits on a shelf or counter (this one is kind of big but there are smaller ones available):

Rubbermaid is one brand and there are others out there that come in various sizes. Take a look here for ideas: Ingredient Bins

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Buy a dry goods bulk bin meant for commercial kitchens.

For something smaller that fits on a shelf or counter (this one is kind of big but there are smaller ones available):

Rubbermaid is one brand and there are others out there that come in various sizes. Take a look here for ideas: Ingredient Bins
Awesome, thank you!