Food Similar To Royal Canin Selected Protein Duck That Isn't Prescription

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate shelling out a small fortune for this food but my IBD cat (most likely IBD anyway) is handling Royal Canin Selected Protein DUCK really well along with her meds and I wonder if there is a non-prescription food anyone knows of that contains similar main ingredients....

Water sufficient for processing, duck, duck liver, pea flour, duck by-product meal, pea protein

These are the secondary ingredients I do not know much about. I know carrageenan is one everyone likes to avoid. Anything else alarming in here? Marigold extract?? Obviously I know taurine is a must.

Vegetable oil, carrageenan, fish oil, carob bean gum, calcium sulfate, natural flavors, taurine, DL-methionine, choline chloride, cysteine, potassium chloride, glycine, vitamins [L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), niacin supplement, DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), biotin, D-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement], trace minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate], marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L).

So I would like to stick to Duck and Pea. At this point canned or dry is fine. She just needs to eat. She always ate just fine. Last week she was thrown off because my bf was in charge of feeding and pilling her one day and couldn't get the pill in her and crushed it and put it in her food. I don't do this for the very reason that it makes her stop wanting to eat the food. I just hadn't told him not to crush the pill in her food because I never thought he would do that lol. So now I want to find something different but as similar as possible. Make sense?

Thanks in advance.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you try just sprinkling the food with some fortiflora to try and get her to eat it again?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - would these kibbles work?
Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet Green Pea and Duck, also Natural Balance has a L.I.D. green pea and venison. This brand also has canned and pouch foods, including a canned pea and duck variety.

Bonito flakes are another topper I've had good luck with.

Oh, and mention to the bf to try a pill pocket, butter or even prosciutto :thumbsup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi - would these kibbles work?
Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet Green Pea and Duck, also Natural Balance has a L.I.D. green pea and venison. This brand also has canned and pouch foods, including a canned pea and duck variety.

Bonito flakes are another topper I've had good luck with.

Oh, and mention to the bf to try a pill pocket, butter or even prosciutto :thumbsup:
Waste the delicious prosciutto??? hahaha.
Thank you I will look up the rest of the ingredients in those foods and see.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you try just sprinkling the food with some fortiflora to try and get her to eat it again?
That is an idea but that stuff is expensive also. I will call the vet and see if they will just sell me a packet to try.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
That is an idea but that stuff is expensive also. I will call the vet and see if they will just sell me a packet to try.
They should be willing to give you a pack as a free sample.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have an IBD cat who was prescribed the Royal Canin Selected Protein Duck like yours. She rejected it.

Check www. KOHApet.com. They have several varieties of flavors, duck being one with high quality ingredients and no bad stuff IBD kitties need to avoid.

My cat loves all these varieties. Yes they are expensive online, but my local pet store gets them in cheaper.

Try the Venison, Kangaroo and Guinea Fowl; all limited ingredient novel proteins.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vegetable oil is also a weird ingredient. Like B babiesmom5 , I'd suggest Koha's duck stew. That one has no peas or chickpeas like some of Koha's other foods. They're relatively reasonably priced -- $1.59-1.79 per larger can -- at my local stores, too. It's very decent food.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm really surprised that peas are tolerable by IBD cats. Most cats that I have taken care of get diarrhea if there are too much peas in their food.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm really surprised that peas are tolerable by IBD cats. Most cats that I have taken care of get diarrhea if there are too much peas in their food.
I know, peas are yet another ingredient that really shouldn't be in cat food to begin with! I won't feed peas to our cats.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Typically speaking yes, peas are something I would normally avoid and I avoid it with my other cats. However I am not as concerned since its working for her. Although if I can find another limited ingredient food that works for her without I will be much happier! I will look into Koha. Thanks guys!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Typically speaking yes, peas are something I would normally avoid and I avoid it with my other cats. However I am not as concerned since its working for her. Although if I can find another limited ingredient food that works for her without I will be much happier! I will look into Koha. Thanks guys!
Well and there's the thing: if it works for an IBD cat, it works for an IBD cat and that's something to be happy about and go with! In that case, maybe the Merrick LID duck would be just the ticket? Our cats really loved that food until the peas were added (unbeknownst to me... I hadn't noticed the ingredient change) and they stopped eating it.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will have to pick up a couple cans of these foods and see what she likes and what doesn't mess up her digestion.