Food scale precision

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm looking at food scales, but I'm not sure how precisely raw food ingredients (specifically, vitamins/supplements) need to be measured.  Is an error margin of +/- 1 gram acceptable?  Consumer food scales with larger capacities (10+ lbs.) don't have precision to <1 g.

This is the scale I'm considering: 

Last edited:

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It depends on what you are weighing.

If you are using this scale to weigh things by the pound or by the ounce (meats, organs, etc.) then this scale is fine, as it weighs down to the .05oz

If you need to weigh very tiny amounts (for example grams of Alnutrin) then I would get a scale that weighs down to the .01g

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is the scale I have if I need to weigh things by the gram. 

If you need to weight things by the gram then a scale that only has +/- 1g margin is not sufficient, you need one that goes down to .1 or .01 grams

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

This is the scale I have if I need to weigh things by the gram. 

If you need to weight things by the gram then a scale that only has +/- 1g margin is not sufficient, you need one that goes down to .1 or .01 grams
Thanks for the recommendation!  I was actually looking at that scale to measure taurine powder.  I guess I'll have one scale to measure meat and a smaller scale to measure vitamins/supplements.

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the recommendation!  I was actually looking at that scale to measure taurine powder.  I guess I'll have one scale to measure meat and a smaller scale to measure vitamins/supplements.
Yes, that's what I do, too. I have 2 scales, one for food and one for supplements :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That should fit your needs! 2 in 1

AND it comes with a calibration weight which is awesome. I always weigh the calibration weight before I start weighing food/supplements to ensure that my scales are accurate
Thanks for the feedback.  I really appreciate it.  It seemed like a really good deal at $30 for the two-in-one plus the calibration weight :)  I'll report back once I start using it!