Food Obsession?

twinkles21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With the addition of our orphaned kitten who required regular feeding meals, and Pyre who started having pancreatic troubles with certain foods (and amounts of foods) and Destiny who is about 3lbs overweight. It was necessary to switch the kittys from free-feeding to timed meals. Destiny loves to be scheduled so she took to the meal feedings the best, Pyre was a hard sell, although she loves the special diet food, it's still a struggle some days and Noriel is still a baby (and it’s a struggle to get her to eat at all, but that’s a completely different story) We decided on multiple small meals a day for a few reasons, mostly because Pyre’s stomach troubles flare up if she eats to much at one time, and Destiny is a scarf n’ barfer and that's how Noriel is fed now.

Everything was going fine, Destiny was losing weight at a good rate, seemed happier with more energy and Pyre is feeling way better, then all of a sudden Destiny has become soo food obsessed! The way she carries on at meal times you’d think we were starving her, and as soon as I put down her bowl she scarfs it so fast then it’s all I can do to hold her back from Pyre and Noriel’s food and then it’s a three-ring circus trying to keep Destiny away from OUR food.

I’m at a loss to what changed? It’s almost like she believes every feeding is the last ever. I’m thinking of putting her in the bathroom for meals so she can eat (or scarf) and the others can eat in peace, but I’m open to other suggestions. Anyone else dealing with a food obsessed kitty? How’d you deal with it?

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first thoughts is that she might have parasites (worms).  You can often see them in the stool.  Not always.  If not, take a stool sample to her vet.  It's common for orphaned kittens that were exposed (outside) to have parasites. 

If not, it might be better to change to a more appropriate food for her and her needs.  And separate while feeding.  She may not be getting all the nutrients she needs and this is causing her to feel hungry all the time.  Is she on wet or dry?  You might try wet food.  She will be more satisfied.