Food Intolerant Cat/Dry Food Junkie/ Vomits after eating/Post-Gallstone Surgery

Jaxs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi- I apologize in advance for this long thread- I have done a alot of research online but there are some many reviews of different types of foods etc. My cat,Jack, developed fatty liver disease after a bout of vomit and not eating in November (*I have previously had several Vet visits early in the year and they chalked it up to food allergies and I had him on Royal Canin hydrolized protein since the summer- he won't eat wet food at all at this point). We had a feeding tube placed and a bunch of medicines to give him to reverse the liver disease- after a 2nd ultrasound- gallbladder had obstructions. Gallstones removed and stint but in - surgery successful. Feeding tube continued and post op meds including predisonline (steroid). Blood levels started to improve, etc. December take out feeding tube due to nauseous from possibly tube ending being partially in stomach. Vets told me to "feed him whatever he will eat". So first tried his Royal Canin, he wouldn't eat it. Then when with some over the counter dry food and wet food- was really trying anything at this point. Landed up with a mix of Meow Mix and Science diet (I know not good but I was desperate not to have feeding tube put back in at this point). Fast forward a few weeks later, Predisonline began taper off as prescribed by vet (blood was being checked about every 1 1/2 - 2 weeks- al values were going back to a more normal state). As Jack taper off meds, of course his puking right after eating came right back. I tried to get him off the Meow Mix crap and try other hypoallgernic food. He began to lose interest in food again- back to appetite stimulant (mirataz). He ate a bit tried to transition with a Science Diet Senstive Skin and other hypoallgernice food - worked for a few days then started puking again. Back to vet- blood values normal (1/3/20). Vet suggested appetite stimulant again and dropping Uridosol (which was the only medicine he was on still after the steroid). Again ate for a few days small mix of science diet and hypoallergenic food (alligator). Puked again- brought him back to different Vet last weekend- he presribed Cerenia, Entyce, Uridosol and Denamarin since his liver values when up slightly. I can't get him to eat wet food although my hopes in the future is it get him to eat wet food so I am putting this pills and the liquid down this throat. As of last week I went to a local pet food store that swears they don't carry any food with byproducts in it so I have been using Farmina a & D Ancestral Grain Lamb and Blueberry Dry Food for the past week with no adverse effects (but then again his is on Cerenia - so not really sure). I'm worried that once Jack is off the cerenia he will throw up again. Any advice is greatly appreciated!! I am sorry this is so long and I do really want to eventually try to get him on wet food but I feel like he is stressed out enough with me feeding him pills that now is not the time to transition him.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
There might be something in these two items that might help now, and also for future;

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
By the way, I'm not a vet myself, but when my Poppycat was recovering from really major liver issues, his vet mentioned that denamaryn is comprised of milk thistle, and the rest of its components are known to cause stomach upset. Can you ask if your vet would be comfortable with you giving Jack just milk thistle? If so, it might help his nausea. (There's a product by Herbsmith that is good).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jaxs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let us know how Jack is doing :)!
yes hope once we taper off cerenia - there is no vomiting. When your poppycat had liver issues- was there a certain food that helpful for the liver? My vet just seems to want to give me their veterinary prescribed food or to have him eat "whatever he will eat"

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
... a little bit of backstory, I'd been trying for about three years to get him off of foods with menadione (when a wellness checkup showed higher liver numbers and I researched and saw the Material Safety Data Sheet for synthetic vitamin K), which only worked to the point that he still got his canned fancy feast and friskies, in addition to various treats, a couple of pouch foods (Merrick BackCountry and Natural Balance--there are other brands but these are the only ones he'll eat) and kibble without menadione. Then about a year prior to getting sick he stopped eating canned friskies.

The prescription Royal Canin we got from the vet helped him during his first days of recovery, with a lot of extra nutrition to support his whole system becoming stronger, but I had to handfeed him this.

After about a week or so, I was getting literally desperate to find anything he'd eat by himself. Finally on a whim I grabbed a couple cans of friskies with the extra gravy and he started to eat on his own.

My vet just seems to want to give me their veterinary prescribed food or to have him eat "whatever he will eat"
I gave a long-way-around answer because for my boy, even though I strongly believe that food without menadione is better/safer for the liver, and the RC food was very helpful, in his case he's a Purina Fancy Feast/Friskies addict and the stubborn little "mule" fits right into your vet's advice.

Last edited:

Jaxs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok thank you! Yes I am finding that he eats better if I sit by him and pet him. That is good to know about the menadione. Thank you!

Jaxs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes that is him :) and thank you 🙏🏽